PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Perth, Western Australia

Retro
17-05-2013, 1:37pm
Hello!!

Having strayed from photography (other than point and shoot) for many years I recently saw fit to jump back into it with my purchase of a Nikon D5100 and 18-55mm VR lens.

Times sure have changed since my days of 35mm film. I started taking pictures as a young lad, interested in black and white photography and influenced by Ansel Adams. My dad and I took to many days out shooting film, me with my Canon T50 and my dad with his twin-lens reflex camera. I learned how to development my own negatives (many an afternoon spent in the bathroom with a towel firmly wedged under the door) and the developing of our own pictures with a darkroom and enlarger in the basement. Good times!

I'm somewhat excited to get back into the realm of photography and I hope to remember what I have learnt from many years ago. Right now, I'm interested mainly in landscape and wildlife subjects and have little interest in software editing. It may be a tad naïve of me but I'm hoping the photo's I take with my camera and the composition of the picture are enough without the need for Photoshop or something similar.

Hopefully that's a bit of insight into myself. I'm keen to learn as much as I can from here and look forward to what Australain Photography has to offer.

Cheers,

Bill

ricktas
17-05-2013, 1:42pm
Welcome Bill.

You will soon find that you will need some editing software. Just like your days in the darkroom where you chose to use velvia film to give your landscapes some nice punchy colours or push processed the film, or even used unsharp mask to sharpen your prints, digital is no different. Just changed. What you did in the darkroom, we now do on the computer.

See you on the forums

Kym
17-05-2013, 5:07pm
:gday: & Welcome
- lets see some photos in the main CC forums (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?5) maybe try a competition or 2 and have fun!

Mary Anne
19-05-2013, 4:39pm
Hello Bill :action66: and Welcome to AP.. You will soon get back into the swing of things.
Lots of changes now we are in the Digital era. Will look forward to seeing what you post on the Landscape or Wildlife Forum..

Mark L
19-05-2013, 9:47pm
G'day Bill.
Digital takes some time to figure the best way to present what we want. I use RAW which requires me to do some basic PP to get the best presentation of my photos. I hate PP.:(
Anyway, you've found a good place to post photos and ask question. Doing this will help demystify this digital stuff.

Wayne63
19-05-2013, 10:05pm
Welcome to AP Bill, Enjoy the site and look forward to seeing some of your pics in the forums

Wynny
23-05-2013, 8:59am
Welcome Bill

Love getting up your way with the camera, especially early morning wanders around Freo. If you are ever down Bunbury way give us a yell.

There are some great camera clubs up your way as well so that might be another option for easing back into photography.