PDA

View Full Version : Hello, Bucky here doing his first post... A little about me. :)

Bucky
11-05-2013, 12:12pm
First photos I took were back about 1955-58 when I convinced my Dad I would look after his beloved family Kodak brownie box camera!
Boy, I soon discovered awful backgrounds, feet cut off, lamp posts growing from peoples heads, people glaring back at me with over exposed faces!
Fixed focus at around 6 feet, meant you were really restricted, close-ups?___ Forget it!! Film wasn't cheap, either was processing. So every photo had to count, how things have changed!
My own first camera was a Kodak "Star Flash" 127, I saved my paper round money, and remember admiring it for a long time through the local chemists window, I finally had the money and went to pick up my new camera.
I well remember sitting in our lounge, unboxing and admiring my beautiful acquisition!
My next camera was a small Minolta 35mm, ( I think it was a Minoltina "S" ) it had a selenium light cell circling its lens, I bought a Braun Paximat projector, and became a Kodachrome slide fanatic, how exciting was it to see your family in bright full colour on a slide screen!!!
Camera number two was a Konica Auto Reflex "T." My first SLR, I began doing some home b+w printing with this great camera.
Next camera was a beautiful Canon "F1." What a magnificent improvement this was, I had the standard 50mm f 1.4, and a 28mm Canon wide angle, and a new Soligor CD 200mm zoom.
After this came an Olympus OM2"n", TTL flash OTF metering, a beautiful camera...
My first digital was a little Kodak, I can't remember the model, ( C513 or something ) photographically life changing for me!
After this came a Panasonic Lumix FZ-10....
I currently use an Olympus E510 twin lens outfit ___ which is a beautiful camera...

I am going to stay with the four thirds system, and am looking at the Olympus OM DE M-5 outfit "chrome body," partly because it is reminiscent of my old beloved OM2n, it comes with numerous advantages, plus it has movie capabilities. I am looking at various options; either the Olympus OMD E-M5 Digital SLR Camera OM D EM5 ( including the 12-50mm DSLR Lens ) which I can be purchased as a kit, ( this 12-50mm DSLR Lens doesn't rate that highly in reviews, but as part of a kit it is a lot cheaper, I believe it is more aimed at the video side of the OMD.)
I could buy the body only, plus the ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 separately, ( this DIGITAL ED 9-18mm has received much better reviews optically than the 12-50mm DSLR Lens.)
I would also like the Olympus M.Zuiko 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD DSLR Lens, it also got great reviews....
Perhaps a forum member may be able to give me an opinion on either/both the 12-50mm DSLR Lens, and the DIGITAL ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 lenses...

I'm sorry to have given such a rambling newbie introduction to the forum, thank you kindly.

Kind regards Bucky
:ologo: :flowersnap:

William
11-05-2013, 12:37pm
Hi Buck and welcome to AP , Hope you get involved and share your knowledge and images , You seem to know a fair bit for a beginner as your skill level states :D

PS : Now it says Intermediate :th3:

Bucky
11-05-2013, 1:42pm
Ooops William.... Changed my level to intermedate, "just had my toe in the water, to test the temperature..." ;)
I guess you'll all decide what level I ought to be regarded after I post my first pic__ or two eh! :2chunc:

It's been a while since I was actively out photographing, so I guess I was feeling a bit "green."

:ologo:

William
11-05-2013, 1:49pm
We're all still green in some ways Buck, The learning never stops this day and age , Well at least for me as an old fart :D

Mary Anne
11-05-2013, 2:48pm
Hello Bucky :action66: and Welcome to AP.. A very interesting Introduction BTW.. :2smile:
You will enjoy it here, plenty of us Members back to Photography now in our Golden Years.. See you on the Forums..

Bear Dale
11-05-2013, 3:37pm
Hello and welcome to the forum (and if you've been absent for an extended time...welcome back!) It's truly a great resource that's packed with friendly members and the best way to enjoy it is to jump in boots and all and start posting.

Feel free to ask any questions if your new (or old!) to the wonderful world of photography and taking photos.

Once again....now that you've signed up and your a new member.....the best way to thoroughly enjoy the site is to thoroughly use it!

Thanks for posting an introduction thread and introducing yourself to the community.

Bucky
11-05-2013, 3:53pm
Aahhh, the golden years...... Yes; we have arrived eh!
Boy haven't we seen such changes in photography!

Thanks for the warm welcome Mary Anne...

Regards Bucky :ologo: :rbird:

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Photo Workx, much appreciated, and I really am keen to get involved again.
I'll delve into my hard drive to see if I can drag something worthy of posting!

Regards Bucky :ologo: :tog:

ricktas
11-05-2013, 5:56pm
Welcome. See you have started joining in already. See you on the forums

Kym
11-05-2013, 6:30pm
:gday: & Welcome
- lets see some photos in the main CC forums (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?5) maybe try a competition or 2 and have fun!

Bucky
11-05-2013, 8:54pm
Thank you Kym and everybody for your friendly greetings, I'll try to dig up some worthwhile photos.
I bought an iMac 18 months ago, and I backed up all my photos to many CD's prior to getting the mac, I'll see what I can dig up.

Oh, I am going to update my avatar, one of my mug shots!!! :/

Bucky :ologo:

Wayne63
11-05-2013, 9:26pm
Welcome to AP Nigel, Enjoy the site and look forward to seeing some of your photo's in the forums

Bucky
11-05-2013, 11:26pm
Thanks Wayne63, i just had a look at all the weekly winners of last year.... SUCH TALENT!!! :eek:
There are a lot of really skilled members here, I'll have to be somewhat fussy in my search of my pics for worthy photographs!

Thanks for your warm welcome Wayne. :flash:

Mark L
13-05-2013, 11:05pm
I'm sorry to have given such a rambling newbie introduction to the forum, thank you kindly.

No worry Bucky, and welcome to AP.
There's a coupla people here that like to ramble on (and that's a good thing), so join in and give them a run for their money.:D