PDA

View Full Version : Adobe to abandon Photoshop! CS6 is the last one

ricktas
07-05-2013, 7:03am
http://techcrunch.com/2013/05/06/adobe-goes-all-in-with-subscription-based-creative-cloud-will-stop-selling-regular-cs-licenses-shrink-wrapped-boxes/

Adobe have announced that CS6 will be the last.

From here forward it will be a cloud based service @ $50.00 per month. I reckon Adobe knows very well that PS is one of the most pirated software packages and using the cloud gives them control back as the only way to get access to it, will be to pay for it.

Not sure if Elements is included in this of if Elements will continue as a purchasable disk based package.

yummymummy
07-05-2013, 7:17am
interesting......

agb
07-05-2013, 8:03am
It's been very obvious for some time that that is what they are moving towards. Some of their comments about the time of the investigation into their of Australian product pricing suggested as much, Whether they think Lightroom and elements can go that way time alone will tell.
I had already made the decision that the next version of Photoshop would be the last I would ever buy. Some people still get along fine with earlier versions so far as just working on photographs is concerned.

Warbler
07-05-2013, 8:04am
That is going to make them a lot of friends. I currently update every two versions at around $300 a time. Paying $600 every year is not something I'd be all that pleased about. A bigger bunch of thieves it would be harder to find. Australian customers won't benefit from the bells and whistles of the on-line options, and given Adobe's price-gouging of Aussie customers, I can't see things getting better under Cloud Computing - not using Adobe's model of it anyway. The management group at Adobe would not be out of place running one of our four major banks.

ricktas
07-05-2013, 8:22am
It's been very obvious for some time that that is what they are moving towards. Some of their comments about the time of the investigation into their of Australian product pricing suggested as much, Whether they think Lightroom and elements can go that way time alone will tell.
I had already made the decision that the next version of Photoshop would be the last I would ever buy. Some people still get along fine with earlier versions so far as just working on photographs is concerned.

Until you get a new camera..and shoot RAW. If Adobe are no longer supporting it, then there will be no upgraded to ACR and thus newer cameras will not be able to open RAW files within PS. Will be interesting to see what they do with their DNG converter..and Lightroom. Lightroom will offer the 'work around' for RAW files in future if they maintain it as a computer based application and not move it to the cloud as well.

agb
07-05-2013, 8:40am
Well I will be using DPP going to tiff going to photoshop. I have DPP++ and can use that,Or using a different raw converter, say raw therapee, or Aftershop pro. Lightroom is still going to be around so they say.

welly
07-05-2013, 8:48am
Adobe aren't abandoning Photoshop or Creative Suite, it's just going to a subscription model. It'll be cheaper for some (those who subscribe the the whole package) and more expensive for others (those who just subscribe to Photoshop) but Adobe aren't abandoning anything.

ricktas
07-05-2013, 9:05am
Adobe aren't abandoning Photoshop or Creative Suite.... but Adobe aren't abandoning anything.

yes they are, no more shrink wrapped disks...and they have said the CS name will no longer be used. They are abandoning the product as we know it today.

Kym
07-05-2013, 9:28am
This is a big mistake by Adobe.

It will open the door for competing products.

agb
07-05-2013, 9:31am
Can someone explain to me what this cloud computing they are talking about really is. It does appear that in reality all they are doing is having a monthly subscription which enables the program, installed on your computer, to keep running.
Answer to faq do you need to be connected to the internet to run the program.

No. Your Creative Cloud desktop applications (such as Photoshop and Illustrator) are installed directly on your computer, so you won't need an ongoing Internet connection to use them on a daily basis.

You will need to be online when you install and license your software. If you have an annual membership, you'll be asked to connect to the web to validate your software licenses every 30 days. However, you'll be able to use products for 180 days even if you're offline.

- - - Updated - - -

Lets hope so.
I already have Raw therapee, DPP++ and Gimp that I play with occasionally , though I do my main work on Lighroom and CS5.

nwhc
07-05-2013, 9:55am
bugger i get my CS6 for $82 (TAFE staff) i wonder what will happen with educational pricing.

welly
07-05-2013, 10:03am
yes they are, no more shrink wrapped disks...and they have said the CS name will no longer be used. They are abandoning the product as we know it today.

They're clearly not abandoning Photoshop. Sure, they're abandoning the Creative Suite name - but Creative Cloud is in all but name, Creative Suite - just that you download it rather than get a cardboard box full of disks.

- - - Updated - - -

Such as? Acorn? Pixelmator? GIMP? Paint Shop Pro All those products have a LONG way to go before they can be considered competitors. And besides, it would be amazing to have something as powerful as Photoshop as a competitor. It'll give us a bit of choice, finally.

Kym
07-05-2013, 10:21am
@welly - the mistake is the business model (subscription) not the product

Tannin
07-05-2013, 10:56am
Huge mistake. Simply, I and thousands upon thosands of customers like me will not, repeat NOT, sign on to the subscription model. Not now. Not ever.

MrQ
07-05-2013, 10:58am
It looks like Lightroom and Elements are continuing as stand-alone products for now (at least one more version). After that ... who knows? I don't want to be paying $600/year for something that currently costs me about $150/year.

ricktas
07-05-2013, 10:59am
Huge mistake. Simply, I and thousands upon thosands of customers like me will not, repeat NOT, sign on to the subscription model. Not now. Not ever.

Agree.

welly
07-05-2013, 11:10am
@welly - the mistake is the business model (subscription) not the product

Fair enough. For me, signing up to Creative Cloud was * removed - do not post about illegal activity on the site, read the site rules* . I simply couldn't afford to spend over $2000 on the entire bundle as I need more than just Photoshop for my work. Now I can, and likewise to thousands upon thousands of others who couldn't afford Creative Suite.

Obviously this payment model isn't going to be for everyone - for me it's perfect - and it'll give the others (Acorn, Pixelmator etc.) a fighting chance but for those who need Photoshop, I guess you'll either have to go with it or stick with your older, and clearly very capable, versions. Although in 2 or 3 years time when the older versions of Photoshop are no longer supported and your new cameras don't work with the older versions, what are you going to do? I assume that there might be a alternative by then. Anyway, will be interesting to see what happens.

Bear Dale
07-05-2013, 11:55am
I'll never pay Adobe a subscription.

I'll just use CS6 until it's a dinosaur and by then there might be some competitive products around.

It's moves like this by Adobe that give products like Gimp a much needed shot in the arm.

Rattus79
07-05-2013, 12:13pm

I'll just use CS6 until it's a dinosaur and by then there might be some competitive products around.

It's moves like this by Adobe that give products like Gimp a much needed shot in the arm.

I'm with you on this one!
Not in a million years will I pay a monthly subscription fee for software, especially not when it works out quite a bit more expensive per year then the existing upgrade path that has been offered!

Warbler
07-05-2013, 12:38pm
I'm with those who refuse to rent vapourware. I spend $1500 to buy my first full copy of Photoshop 6, ten or twelve years ago. Since then I have upgraded on a number of occasions. All those previous versions still work. I currently have CS6 and it will continue to work except for new model cameras' RAW files. Adobe will not get another cent from me in future.

Sifor
07-05-2013, 12:48pm
Likely they're moving to this model due to piracy, however it will not stop it- they will find a way to crack the software. Even if it does an activation check every 30 days, that is not something difficult to overcome..

It will be a major turnoff for many, and so it'll be interesting to see what happens...

Warbler
07-05-2013, 12:55pm
It's akin to a car company telling you that you can't buy one of their cars outright, only hire it. I hope this decision blows up in their faces.

ricktas
07-05-2013, 1:21pm
http://www.adobe.com/cc/letter.html

Will also be interesting to see how people like Google manage their Nik Software suite, and others who develop plugins and filters for Adobe products, adjust to work with this new cloud based operation.

Rattus79
07-05-2013, 1:26pm
except for new model cameras' RAW files.

You'll just have to sell all your lenses/bodies and get a :plogo: .... They have Adobe DNG built in, no Vapourware required.

arthurking83
07-05-2013, 7:37pm
Adobe aren't abandoning Photoshop or Creative Suite, it's just going to a subscription model. It'll be cheaper for some (those who subscribe the the whole package) and more expensive for others (those who just subscribe to Photoshop) but Adobe aren't abandoning anything.

Adobe has said it will no longer be developing its Creative Suite range of software, leaving its subscription and cloud-based Creative Cloud as the only way of accessing the latest version of Photoshop

What exactly is it about that initial line that makes you think they're not abandoning the CS line of products!! :confused013

CS6 has a limited lifetime, as already said by others. Once Adobe decides that ACR will no longer be supported for newer cameras, and Adobe stop supporting updates and bug fixes ... technically they have ceased support for the CS products!

Why is this concept so hard to understand.

For those that see this as a good move .. good luck to them.

For the majority tho .. having to pay twice as much for software every year, sounds like money not well spent.

There are many folks out there that may skip a generation or two of a particular software product, to then update it later on in their usage cycle.
Windows is a classic example of this method of updating software ... you get the good stuff(Win2K .... WinXP .. Win7), and pass on the crappy versions(Win Vista, Win8 .. etc)

Adobe thing they above the general consumer trend for product cycles, and I(also) think this may become the start of the end of their dominance in this field.
I just hope that whoever takes up this challenge, that they design their software so that it's not so convoluted!

I suppose there may be one side benefit of going this route tho(if their subscription model works in this manner).

They reckon you can use the software for 180days without having to be online.
So can you come and go into the product's subscription cycle as you need, and not have to pay any missed usage?

That is, say you have atone of images you want to process in July ... and you do this, but you don't use the software for three or four months, can you come back to it in Dec, and only pay for this month's usage?
Or do you have to pay for the missing 4 months, where you didn't use it?

This is the key to it's success.
If you're paying to use a produce that you don't use ... I think this is going to become a massive fail mark against Adobe.

For many general users(ie. non commercial type users) ... I think they will gravitate to other raw converters and use TIFF file types as the basis for their photography editing.

I can't see LR lasting for too much longer without going to the same product modelling.

agb
07-05-2013, 7:46pm
[QUOTE=arthurking83;1142884

They reckon you can use the software for 180days without having to be online.
So can you come and go into the product's subscription cycle as you need, and not have to pay any missed usage?

That is, say you have atone of images you want to process in July ... and you do this, but you don't use the software for three or four months, can you come back to it in Dec, and only pay for this month's usage?
Or do you have to pay for the missing 4 months, where you didn't use it?

[/QUOTE]
I too thought that might be a way of circumventing the monthly payment, but I suspect that it will probably only apply for those on an annual subscription. They can't possibly be so stupid as to have a monthly subscription and then let you use it for three months without having to pay. Can they?

arthurking83
07-05-2013, 8:28pm
..... They can't possibly be so stupid as to have a monthly subscription and then let you use it for three months without having to pay. Can they?

Being Adobe, they'd have thought of this, and one would expect them not to allow people to come and go into the subscription as they please.
This of course doesn't make any sense to a company seemingly hell bent on becoming the masters of the software universe ... but sometimes you never know.

BUT!!!..... It wouldn't be hard for them to produce a software model for this new CC product for those of you that would like to use it on a monthly basis.

Say you pay $10 more (than the regular price)per month just to use it for one month on a month by month basis .. or something like that.

I mean, you get this type of product services with internet providers, and phone companies now .. whereas a few moons ago this wasn't possible.

I personally wouldn't pay for software that is ultimately not mine to keep.

ROA44
07-05-2013, 8:56pm
From what I understand you wont actually be down loading the program but you will have to subscribe to be able to gain access to the software then do do what ever you want and log off then when you want to use the software again you have to go and log in again. A RRP. But I could be wrong someone may be able to correct this but that's what was suggested @ work. but I think I will @ least try to get Lightroom 4 real soon & or do I upgrade corel draw 4. all becoming a RRP

Cris
07-05-2013, 9:02pm
I just went on the Adobe website and it says if you qualify-cs3 or newer you can have a $9.99 single app monthly subscription for 12 months-doesnt seem like such a bad deal, maybe if it goes way beyond that after 12 months then that might suck.

Warbler
08-05-2013, 9:20am
My understanding from reading the link Rick posted above is that you will sign up for a twelve month subscription, and therefore pay for twelve months when you do. You then also need to be online from time to time for your software to continue to function. Presumably you won't be able to simply pay for one month and get four.

See this link:

http://www.adobe.com/au/products/creativecloud/buying-guide.html

Notice the words "Annual Commitment Billed Monthly"? No chance that you'll be able to buy a single month.

agb
08-05-2013, 9:27am
I just went on the Adobe website and it says if you qualify-cs3 or newer you can have a $9.99 single app monthly subscription for 12 months-doesnt seem like such a bad deal, maybe if it goes way beyond that after 12 months then that might suck.
Can you give a link to that, I have searched the adobe website and I cannot find anything less than $19.99p/m

I @ M
08-05-2013, 9:40am
Interesting thread.

The one question in my mind is.

What is a dobe?

Is it the opposite of a don'tbe?

kanesmadness
08-05-2013, 9:41am
As a current CC customer i might just dispell a few things here.

during the sign up process it asks if you want to sign up for a year or 1 month the difference is around $15 between the 2 but if you leave the annual plan then you need to pay the rest of the years fees much like a mobile phone plan. The software calls home every now and then to check to see if your still subscribed, im signed up with the annual plan and i intentionally skipped 1 months payment to see what would happen. All i go was a warning telling me that i had 15 days to pay my bill or i would loose access to the software. On my other computer im also using photoshop but again as a test its not connected to the internet. 90 days on and its still letting me run the software.

From that you dont need to be connected to the net to make the software work, unlike what was originally reported when it was released the software is not browser based...you download the full version of photoshop, lightroom, dreamweaver etc and run it as you would the packaged software.

There is a pretty good write up here (http://scottkelby.com/2013/my-take-on-adobes-announcements-yesterday-at-the-max-conference/) that answers alot more questions and has links to adobe pages for people who have paid for CS6 and lower to upgrade (or downgrade however you may see it).

So far ive found CC to be a great package with some non advertised additions that i did not expect (domain name, photo portfolio web hosting, tutorials)

agb
08-05-2013, 9:50am
Anyone else notice that they say GST not payable? I wonder why not.

Warbler
08-05-2013, 10:01am
Anyone else notice that they say GST not payable? I wonder why not.

They didn't charge GST for my on-line download of CS6 either. They obviously don't believe in paying tax for sales to Aussie customers. The price difference for aussies and yanks and brits has nothing to do with taxes.

And kanesmadness, you get 180 days without confirmation of paid subscription before the software no longer works. Get back to us in another 90 days. ;)

manohartvs
08-05-2013, 10:42am
That is a bold move from Adobe to be honest. I think they will begin to see a huge dropout in their Customer base. I wonder if they will ever reconsider this decision if things begin to go down the drain.

nwhc
08-05-2013, 11:00am
Photoshop is more important to graphic designers these days then photographers, with the introduction of Lightroom and Aperture i find myself getting home from work and not wanting to use photoshop anymore. For us designers there is no alternative to photoshop adobe know this i think it is a good move for them.

Rattus79
08-05-2013, 1:26pm
Interesting thread.

The one question in my mind is.

What is a dobe?

Is it the opposite of a don'tbe?

A dobe?

Isn't that one of those things that hippies smoke?

William
08-05-2013, 2:25pm
A dobe?

Isn't that one of those things that hippies smoke?

What would "that" be ? Greg :D

SirLozalot
08-05-2013, 2:41pm
Likely they're moving to this model due to piracy, however it will not stop it- they will find a way to crack the software...

Photography to me is a hobby that I occasionally get on to when "free" time permits. I have always felt Photoshop way too expensive and so I have been stuck at CS3 with reluctance to spend more money after the original big outlay. I can totally understand the large number of illegally hacked Photoshop installations out there. If you have no commercial income from photography justifying the $$$ then the piracy option is very tempting. I agree this new model will probably not stop the piracy as the subscription model still costs the average amateur too much and gives incentive to hackers.

Rattus79
08-05-2013, 3:39pm
What would "that" be ? Greg :D

I think the accepted spelling is "Doobee" William.
Not that I know anything about that sort of thing. :D

MissionMan
08-05-2013, 11:11pm
I'm another one that believes this is a really dumb idea. If they think it will prevent pirating, they're underestimating the public. If guys can jailbreak iphones with all the work Apple put into preventing it happening, they have more chance of falling pregnant through wind pollination than preventing guys from hacking their cloud software. I guarantee within a couple of months some 13 yr old with pasty white skin who does this sort of stuff for fun will break the security on it, post it online and the only people Adobe will have pissed off is their paying customers.

I'm lucky in that I get access to Adobe software through work but what Adobe needs to understand is their pirating has everything to do with their overpriced software. They'd be selling way more software if they halved their pricing, but it's the lack of competition that allows them to overprice the software. It's a little like MYOB (one of my other pet hates) who charge the same price as the initial software purchase for second rate support and tax table updates with no option to update your own tax tables.

Sorry Adobe, if I leave my company and have to buy my own software, you can guarantee I won't be buying it via your crapscription model.

woononabutch
09-05-2013, 8:17am
Hi, I got into digital photography about 10 years ago, where the only software I could afford was a product put out by "Ulead" developers, I stuck with this until around five years ago (when 'Corel' took over Photoimpact X3) I then looked at CS5, used trial version for 30 days, but it was too expensive for basic photo post processing (great for graphic designers) I opted for PS Elements and until recently used it exclusively. Over the last few days I downloaded trail version of 'Lightroom' and will most likey buy it if I can confirm that Elements and Lightroom will not be going CLOUD!! Got another 3 weeks of trial left - Serif software has PS clone in its PhotoPlus!!!

Mark L
11-05-2013, 7:39pm
Free (can't be any good) and it's not Adobe (can't be any good). :confused013
http://www.gimp.org/about/introduction.html

Cris
11-05-2013, 8:31pm
Can you give a link to that, I have searched the adobe website and I cannot find anything less than $19.99p/m

I went thru the subscribe process and when you get to the final page it gives you a 9.99 special rate for a single app after it checks your eligibility. I didn't finish the process, thought I will wait till the last minute so I can get the special rate as long as possible.

mudman
11-05-2013, 9:56pm

the problem with this is not all camera systems are gimp compatible

Blackberner
13-05-2013, 8:50pm

I would have to agree Kym.
There are a lot of great packages out there that may not be a single competitor, but people will use another product if they dont have the choice........

agb
30-05-2013, 5:12pm
I think they really have not quite got it. This is there response so far.
http://blogs.adobe.com/creativecloud/our-move-to-creative-cloud-an-update/

- - - Updated - - -

Dazz1
30-05-2013, 5:38pm
the problem with this is not all camera systems are gimp compatible

I admit I don't understand why a generic program like Gimp can be said to be incompatible with a camera. Is it just the raw conversion part of the process?

However, even accepting that, time to support Gimp and make it what you need it to be. Then you'll never again be held to ransom by large companies for your photo processing needs.

MissionMan
23-06-2013, 10:12am
Well, that worked well...

http://techcrunch.com/2013/06/21/adobe-photoshop-cc-proves-that-the-cloud-isnt-a-cure-all-refuge-from-software-piracy/

Dazz1
23-06-2013, 10:49am
I saw it more as customer lock-in and perpetual forced upgrades, than as piracy prevention. No more can you buy an old version and be happy to never upgrade. It gives Adobe a much more dependable income stream.

agb
23-06-2013, 10:59am
Slowly getting the message perhaps?
http://photorumors.com/2013/06/16/adobe-is-considering-new-pricing-models-for-creative-cloud/#ixzz2WQOGiKQY

arthurking83
23-06-2013, 12:52pm
I read this headline on another site, and a point they made was that whilst the CC component of this new service was in deed broken into by some Chinese hackers and now pirated, it remains to be seen if this is a long term process as the CC model requires continual response from the Adobe servers on a monthly basis.

I don't think that the rehacking process will be hard for the hackers to maintain in the short term, but at some point in the future Adobe will most likely find a way to stop them.

PhotoPaul
23-06-2013, 1:09pm
...and then the hacking groups will find a way around that, then Adobe will work around that, then the hacking groups...so on and so forth. It won't end anything, except their dominance in the market place

zollo
23-06-2013, 4:11pm
The whole anti hacking thing is a joke and a lame excuse by adobe. If they were serious about anti piracy they would employ a dongle/ physical key approach as used by serious design/ CAD programs and others. I am not aware of a workaround for those. My opinion is that it is all about the continuous income stream.

Kym
23-06-2013, 4:41pm
I don't think that the rehacking process will be hard for the hackers to maintain in the short term, but at some point in the future Adobe will most likely find a way to stop them.

Nope!! Crackers (the correct term for these people) will always find a way as long as the software executes locally on your machine.

PhotoPaul
23-06-2013, 6:04pm
The whole anti hacking thing is a joke and a lame excuse by adobe. If they were serious about anti piracy they would employ a dongle/ physical key approach as used by serious design/ CAD programs and others. I am not aware of a workaround for those. My opinion is that it is all about the continuous income stream.

There are workarounds for Pro Tools which used to employ the dongle key approach.

k8ez
13-10-2013, 11:29am
Interesting topic. I have been so out of the action for soooo long. The cost of buying my own gear was bad enough , but the whole Adobe subscription thing is just a bummer. I'm going to miss CS thats for sure. Maybe later I'll be forced to subscribe, but for now I'm about to experiment with Capture One Pro for the camera/pic management , and for now my old copy of photoshop cs2 . Not happy like lots with Adobe so will hang off buying their product for as long as I can. I hope Adobe suffers.

ricktas
13-10-2013, 12:01pm
Interesting topic. I have been so out of the action for soooo long. The cost of buying my own gear was bad enough , but the whole Adobe subscription thing is just a bummer. I'm going to miss CS thats for sure. Maybe later I'll be forced to subscribe, but for now I'm about to experiment with Capture One Pro for the camera/pic management , and for now my old copy of photoshop cs2 . Not happy like lots with Adobe so will hang off buying their product for as long as I can. I hope Adobe suffers.

The issue with older versions of Photoshop is that Adobe stop updating them and thus newer camera's RAW files are not supported in the older version. Try opening a Canon 5D III or a Nikon D800 RAW file with CS2.

k8ez
13-10-2013, 1:03pm
Yes , I know Rick but I'll be using Capture Pro 7 to get the raw . Express doesn't cost to much , pro7 is $300 . That take cares of the raw handling and some adjustments ( I dont know how well yet but I'm experimenting soonish ) and I'll use cs2 for layers and blending and stuff on the tiffs.

ravenau
15-10-2013, 12:44pm
*removed- read site rule 3*

k8ez
16-10-2013, 12:44pm
The issue with older versions of Photoshop is that Adobe stop updating them and thus newer camera's RAW files are not supported in the older version. Try opening a Canon 5D III or a Nikon D800 RAW file with CS2.
I decided to bite the bullet and get CC on subscription , because I have way to much time invested in Photoshop and camera raw. I must say I am impressed with CC and camera raw as a plugin. I'm pretty happy about the price also , I think its way cheaper than previous buying and upgrades paths. Not 'owning' the program will take some getting used to. Apologies to Adobe for getting angry with them. Things are what they are.

arthurking83
17-10-2013, 1:09am
...... I think its way cheaper than previous buying and upgrades paths. .....

It depends on your point of view.

If you only updated ever 'other' incarnation/update(or even less frequently), then the CC model costs more(and you get less for this extra cost).

The other point is not to rely too much on Adobe's current pricing model. This system is ripe for them to bleed every last penny out of their customers. Lock 'em into a proprietary system and make them pay for it later!

And my understanding of the CS system , where you supposedly bought the software .. you don't really own that either. You only have a license to use it legally on one PC. If you actually owned it, then it's yours to do whatever you wished for .. freely. I don't even think you can on sell your copy of CS to anyone else. The license key is non transferable. Most bought software works in the same way tho.

What I don't really understand is their reasoning for doing this. They claimed that this system had to be implemented due to some financial/accounting reporting for calculating their income for the year, and hence tax liabilities.

Yet they still have many other software available on the old system, such as lightroom and Elements .. software that also requires incremental updates every so often and between end of year reporting schedules.

Tannin
17-10-2013, 10:48am
my understanding of the CS system , where you supposedly bought the software .. you don't really own that either. You only have a license to use it legally on one PC. If you actually owned it, then it's yours to do whatever you wished for .. freely. I don't even think you can on sell your copy of CS to anyone else. The license key is non transferable. Most bought software works in the same way tho.

You can use CC on two machines, as I recall the licence terms; a desktop and a laptop, I think. I'd have to go back and read the fine print to be sure. Most software you buy is transferrable. You buy a licence, not the actual software, but that licence is transferrable. Giant software corporations try to "fix" this so that you can't sell your own software that you bought with your own money, but the courts slap them down. It has happened in much the same way numerous times in various parts of the world. But with CC, of course, you rent the licence (you can't buy it) so you can't on-sell that rental. Adobe has figured out a way to beat the court system.

What I don't really understand is their reasoning for doing this.

Ahh, now here I can help. Adobe's reasoning was explained right here in this very thread by an earlier poster. He was very clear on the point. Arthur someoneorother, if I remember correctly. Perhaps it would be useful to quote him:

This system is ripe for them to bleed every last penny out of their customers. Lock 'em into a proprietary system and make them pay for it later!

I think that sums it up pretty well.

k8ez
17-10-2013, 11:38am
The trouble is there is nothing like photoshop especially when you have used it since PS7. Thats a lot of time invested in it . I'm going to take some time out to learn GIMP and see how that goes, but for now its PS. What real choice is there ? None that I can see.

I @ M
17-10-2013, 11:51am
What real choice is there ? None that I can see.

Plenty of choices out there really when you look. I guess it really depends on whether people can be bothered learning a new program and to me that is the only stumbling block standing in their way to happiness.

Ezookiel
17-10-2013, 1:30pm
I use CS5.5 but only once every couple of months when I finally get time to go out and take some photos. I pay student prices for my software, so paid just under $190 for it. There is no way in hell I can pay $50 a month for it. I wouldn't even commit to $20 a month, and that would still be dearer than what I paid for the package.
Sad thing is, if they dropped the price to something sensible years ago, they'd possibly have solved half the piracy problem. When the package is over a grand, it's sure to get stolen. Make it more like $200 - $300 and a lot more people won't bother taking the risk of stealing a copy. Do you sell a million copies at $1000 or 20 million copies at $250. And the plus side is that those who only upgrade every few versions, might upgrade more often at that price. Looks like they've gone a different way to solve the problem, but not convinced it was a great idea. I guess time will tell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

arthurking83
17-10-2013, 2:31pm
Thanks for the clear up on the point of software licensing .. I wasn't 100% sure on that point.

.... He was very clear on the point. Arthur someoneorother, if I remember correctly. Perhaps it would be useful to quote him:

I don't trust him, and I think I know him well enough to conclusively say he's not trustable! :p

On the topic of time invested in having learned the software .. makes perfectly good sense, but once you learn the basics of how to edit images, transferring this understanding to other software is usually easy.
For me, learning software wasn't really a big issue even tho it was the ease of getting to grips with the software that decided it for me. Dependencies and needs were the real factor.
That is, I don't clone out stuff(or clone stuff in), nor do I add skies into my images later via layers and suchlike image amalgamations, and learning PS(back then) was a right ol PITA .. where Nikon's Capture was easy peasy.
For my straightforward needs, it turned out that simple editing was the way to go.

I can understand the need for panorama making or image stacking(either focus or HDR) .. but my belief is that a specialised software for those needs is usually the better option anyhow.

In saying this tho, I don't mind LR, even tho it has some very strange and convoluted quirks that irk me massively(such as a simple save/save as! :rolleyes:) .. but my biggest gripe with Adobe's imaging software is the inability to write to the actual raw file(if wanted/needed).

Choices: Corel's PaintShop is just as effective(from what I've seen of them both), but I've read that there are many professional aspects to Photoshop that just aren't available in PSP.

For all amateur/enthusiast uses .. PSP seems to be a much better proposition that PS Elements is

The solution to the problem(the stealing of the software) looks to have massively failed anyhow .. it wasn't that long ago that their account system was hacked into.
So not only do they have the problem of hacking their software to steal it, they now have the double edged sword of defending against hackers into their entire system.

I can see a major law suit looming if customer data ever gets out into the wild .. hope they have a contingency for this.

I opened up LR for the first time in many months(and since the accounting hacking saga) and got a message from them to revisit or edit my account details.
Now the question is(seeing that the Adobe accounting system has been compromised) was this a legit message from Adobe, or a hacker generated phishing request?

Tannin
17-10-2013, 10:16pm
It was a legit message, Arthur. But, to be sure, simply type adobe.com into your browser and change your password. Do this now. Also VERY, VERY IMPORTANT, if you have used the same password anywhere else, change it there also. Do this IMMEDIATELY.

The Adobe hack - unbelieveably poor security, but this is what we have learned to expect from Adobe - involved the theft of actual passwords. Yes, actual passwords, not password hashes. We are talking Programing 101 level mistakes here. So, if you have used the same password for you Adobe account as any other account anywhere, change it NOW.

ricktas
18-10-2013, 6:55am
It is also worth noting that the CC version of Photoshop was hacked within about 2 weeks of it's release and people are now happily using it..and not paying for it. So Adobe's change to the CC methodology to stop the software 'theft' has failed. It has probably succeeded in ensuring their income stream is more even, month to month, via the paying users, and thus made their own accounting easier (it is easier to plan to pay your bills/staff etc if your monthly income is known ahead of time)., Whereas the old method meant lots of money when a new version came out, declining slowly each month, till the next release - harder to budget around.