PDA

View Full Version : Beginner - Where to Start

Tamera
25-04-2013, 7:31am
I have recently purchased my very first DSLR camera (Canon 650D with the twin lens kit) and am excited to 'get started' but was really not sure what my first step should be. I then came across your web page and found the Learning Plan. What a fantastic concept......thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I can't wait to get started!

ricktas
25-04-2013, 7:53am
Welcome. Reading is only the very first step. Practicing and improving your photography can only come for taking photos, getting out with the camera. Read lots, in small chunks, put what you learn into taking photos and understanding of how that camera feature works, then move onto the next camera feature/function. Do not try and learn it all at once.

Post photos here on AP for critique and incorporate the feedback into your learning.

So pull up a chair and join right in.

welly
25-04-2013, 10:32am
Find out what you're interested in shooting (landscapes, portraits, nature, whatever) and take lots of pictures of that subject. And look at lots of photographs of that subject. The technical stuff (ISO, aperture, shutter speed) is dead easy and you can figure that out in a few hours - it's how you use that knowledge that takes time.

Wayne63
25-04-2013, 10:35am
Welcome to AP Tamera, Enjoy the site and look forward to seeing some of your photo's in the forums

Kym
25-04-2013, 10:42am
:gday: & Welcome
- lets see some photos in the main CC forums (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?5) maybe try a competition or 2 and have fun!

Maybe have a look at the New to Photography (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showlibrary.php?title=Indexes:New_To_Photography_Book) book and the Learning Plan in the book.(more to the point... Work the plan)

Mary Anne
25-04-2013, 2:37pm
Hello and Welcome to AP.. Its a great site for learning, you will enjoy it here..

Bear Dale
25-04-2013, 4:45pm
Hello and welcome to the forum. It's truly a great resource that's packed with friendly members and the best way to enjoy it is to jump in boots and all and start posting.

Mark L
25-04-2013, 9:51pm
G'day Tamera, welcome to AP.
"Beginner - Where to Start ", with small steps. It won't all happen at once.
One thing I can guaranty though, if you get involved here, ask questions (don't be afraid to do that), observe what others do (and say) and post photos of your journey, you will find the steps easier.
If you're worried about were to post some of your photos, start here ... http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?177-New-to-Photography-CC-%28Beginners%29 It's for beginners. :th3:
Don't be overwhelmed by some of the better photographers here. They all started where you're starting.

davidp1984
26-04-2013, 6:18pm
Welcome... This is a great place to learn.

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome... This is a great place to learn.

Tamera
27-04-2013, 8:14pm
Thanks for the friendly and encouraging welcome! Spending the day out again tomorrow.....leaving the camera on auto and just concentrating on composition.....will post some of my pics for CC.