PDA

View Full Version : To catch a stalker

sleuthing
10-03-2013, 7:58pm
Hi. I need to film a malicious stalker who comes creeping around at night, and does malicious damage to the outside of my flat. I live in a deeply wooded garden, so he has no shortage of cover. The people in the flats next to mine, who have windows overlooking this flat, have offered to help me film him at work. I'm wondering if a camcorder, set on the neighbour's windowsill would be able to film him when he comes onto my front porch, which the neighbour's window overlooks. The camcorder would be mostly hidden behind a blind, in a dark room, with only the lens looking through the blind, and I would keep the light on in my porch through the night. Would this do the job? I'm not made of money, and I've seen a very economical camcorder at the following link:

*removed- refer to site rules 3-7*

I don't think it has a motion detector sensor, but presumably I'd be able to download the footage to my computer and just scan it myself for evidence.

I also wonder if such a camcorder can film in the dark. Only the porch has an outside light, but he also does damage to the side of the flat, which I can't illuminate at night. I'd really appreciate your help.

ameerat42
10-03-2013, 8:15pm
Hi! Wow! That's a fine how-do-you-do! Have you notified the police? Also, I think you might have restrictions as a new user about linking to commercial products/sites.
Welcome anyway.
Am.

Mark L
10-03-2013, 8:37pm
All the best sleuthing.
Regardless of what happens here, if you're into still photography, then get involved here at AP. 'tis a good place to learn and share.
Not that I'd know, but reckon there may cheaper ways than your
Is inferred an option for darker places?:confused013:)

ricktas
10-03-2013, 8:45pm
Agree with the above comments, have you informed the police? and how do you know it is a HIM?

sleuthing
10-03-2013, 9:16pm
Yes, I have informed the police, but to take him to court and get him off my back (epic feat, with a stalker), I need evidence. The camcorder in the link is the Sony DCRSX655. I know it's a him because he used to live in the flat above me, and that's when he started his weird behaviour. Mercifully, he moved out, but only up the road, and a few weeks later he started up with this stalking/harrassment again. He's a meth addict, so I don't think it's really 'classic' stalking; more like a behaviour pattern that's established itself in his meth-disordered brain, and that repeats itself in a way that's consistent with the obsessive and repetitive patterns that characterise behaviour on that drug. It's important for me to get evidence, in order to bring him before the law, which, I believe, is really the only thing that'll get him to stop.

ameerat42
11-03-2013, 8:43am
How techy are you - also rich? How about a webcam or two with feed to ---cloud--- accessible thru smartphone? With some recording facility, too.
Am.

ricktas
11-03-2013, 9:08am
You can buy security camera kits from Dick Smith etc these days for well under $1000.00. These are designed to see better in the dark. Your other option is to install a sensor floodlight on your porch, so that movement triggers it to light up your yard and then a webcam, etc would catch the action under brighter light.

Even the installation of a sensor flood light might be enough to make them stop.

Kym
11-03-2013, 11:39am
:gday: & Welcome
- lets see some photos in the main CC forums (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?5) maybe try a competition or 2 and have fun!

Good luck with getting the stalker

Warren Ackary
11-03-2013, 4:57pm
Welcome to AP & happy stalker hunting

Mathy
11-03-2013, 8:55pm
Welcome to AP. I recently had a customer with a similar problem (I work for Bunnings). There are solar powered spotlights that you can buy, where you can mount the solar panel in the sunlight and the spotlights can be placed in shaded areas - they come in a 2 pack for about $22. The spots are LEDs and automatically come on at sundown. My customer had similar issues with someone wrecking her garden on an esplanade property - no over looking neighbours. It is a nasty situation if you're female and living on your own and, no, the police do not have all the time in the world to deal with your problem. GL with sorting this out, cheers Deb

Bear Dale
12-03-2013, 5:09pm
Please post photos when you catch him :tog:

ameerat42
12-03-2013, 5:14pm
Please post photos when you catch him :tog:

No don't! I think they will render any legal prosecution invalid.
(Maybe a legal expert could advise.)
Am.

Bear Dale
12-03-2013, 5:18pm
^ But it might be the first confirmed sighting of Big Foot in Cairns.

Fiftynow
12-03-2013, 5:58pm
Not sure how financial you are but you can get 'game' cameras for a couple of hundred dollars. They use infra red and work in the dark very well. They record pictures to a memory card. The pictures are very clear. You can get really posh ones where you can view footage and photos remotely.

Anyway welcome to AP. Enjoy.

William
12-03-2013, 6:38pm
Hmmm !! Only this post by the OP /New Member , Makes me wonder about things , Bet it's the last :rolleyes:

PS : Hope I'm proved wrong and we see some other subjects and Images up for CC , Join In the fun, Welcome to AP

Kat
15-03-2013, 9:25am
I agree on the Bunnings spots, they light up like christmas! that and your trusty iphone (if you have one) would be sufficient to film him, good luck catching him