PDA

View Full Version : Introduction (take 2) and advice seeking

*~Min~*
27-02-2013, 8:46pm
Hi,

I joined this website years ago but never felt as though I had decent enough camera equipment to be able to add anything to the forums. Finally I'm planning on getting my first dslr camera and would appreciate any advice you may have for me.

At the moment I am leaning towards the Canon 60D with the Canon 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens. Admittedly, I don't know at all that much about cameras and lenses but figured by spending a bit more I can at least have room to grow with my purchase. I've been looking at the reviews for the camera and lens and it all sounds good to me. I can't really afford to upgrade for quite awhile after this as I'm planning on returning to uni part-time to complete a postgraduate program. So would this be a suitable set for a beginner to learn with and continue on with?

Also any recommendations for must have accessories to get me started would be fantastic or best places to purchase.

Cheers,
Min

ricktas
27-02-2013, 8:51pm
Why Canon? Do you have friends with DSLRs? What brands? Getting a good kit together than cost quite a bit of money and if you have friends who already have a DSLR, why not chat to them, you could buy the same brand and thus share a lens around, or a speedlight etc.

All of the major DSLR manufacturers offer good gear, so you cannot really go wrong with one of them, but I would say unless you have a reason to buy Canon, look at the other brands and consider what your friends have. Sharing lenses etc can be a great way to expand your learning, and being able to do it with friends is a great way to enjoy photography as you learn.

*~Min~*
27-02-2013, 9:05pm
I'm pretty much on my own with my interest in photography. I do have some relations interested in photography and they all have canons (but I am not close enough to any of them to switch around lenses and so on). I've tried out my boyfriend's dad's Canon 650D with the standard twins lens kit. It was amazing, I've never felt so in love with a camera. But at the same time I figured going with the 60d would be a step up. Especially if I go with a better quality lens. I do plan to test a few cameras out before I buy to see what feels best to me. So please feel free to make any other recommendations for cameras I should try out?

I guess I have been drawn to Canon mainly due to the ones I've seen around me but I am open to other brands. I really would like to get into landscape and portrait photography mostly. Maybe eventually go into wildlife photography down the line. So a camera and lens that is quite versatile would be best.

Mark L
27-02-2013, 9:20pm
G'day Min. Welcome to AP.

I do plan to test a few cameras out before I buy to see what feels best to me. So please feel free to make any other recommendations for cameras I should try out?

That's always good. The camera should feel comfortable in your hands. I find some to small.
As Rick says, all brands generally offer good equipment these days. Though I'm a firm believer that if you percieve one brand as the one for you, buy it. It helps to be happy with what you are buying, not wondering if you've done the right thing by going with something you weren't sure about (hope that makes sense).
Other equipment? Tripod and Remote Switch come to mind.
Anyway, hope to see you around AP Min. Get your boyfriend involved here also.:)
I've been happy with my 60D, hope you will be with yours. :D:D

Kym
27-02-2013, 9:25pm
:gday: & Welcome Back
- lets see some photos in the main CC forums (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?5) maybe try a competition or 2 and have fun!

*~Min~*
27-02-2013, 9:26pm
Thanks for the advice, appreciate it. Cannot wait to start photography and becoming an active member!

Mary Anne
27-02-2013, 9:56pm
Hello Min :action66: and Welcome to AP.. Thats a great camera so much better than the entry models.
I agree with when you are happy with the camera in your hand and it feels right then that's the one for you..
This is a great Forum to learn how to use it too, so will look forward to seeing what you post on the Forums when you get it.

Wayne
27-02-2013, 11:53pm
Welcome. Good advice to check a few brands, see what feels right in your hand. I'm a Nikon user and the interface to operate the camera, the location of buttons and their functions are different from one brand to the next, and even in some cases from one model to another from the same manufacturer.
I have never been a Canon user, and I find that when someone hands me one it just feels foreign. Nothing is in the same place as my Nikon's and being used to one interface does make it a bit of a learning curve, so trying a few and seeing what works for you is prudent before spending the hard earned cash. All else aside, I honestly think Nikon have one of if not the best user interface of all the manufacturers as well as consistency across their models, they are just so easy, fast and fluid to change settings on in a snap.

This camera stuff is expensive, you want to give yourself the best chance of making a good buying decision straight up as changing your mind down the track is costly. portrait and wildlife photography usually involve expensive lenses, so take a look at the relevant lenses from each manufacturer and see if their pricing is what you expect it may be. A professional grade portrait lens can easily cost $1500-$2000, and a wildlife lens from $4000-$12000.

I recommend a tripod as it will often be something you use for landscapes, can be used for portrait and wildlife photography so buying a good quality one will last a lifetime. Stay away from $100 junk, tripods are often an item people stinge on, only to find the cheap one they buy won't do the job and then they need to spend $ again buying a better one. Some people buy a slightly better one, but still not an ideal one, then find it is also crap so eventually resign to spending the beans and getting a good quality one the 3rd time round. You truly will get what you pay for.

Wayne63
28-02-2013, 8:41am
Welcome Back and look forward to seeing some of your pics from whichever brand camera that you end up buying