PDA

View Full Version : Hi everyone!

maybeoneday
24-01-2013, 12:14pm
Hi everyone my name is Megan and I've just joined the forum this morning and just wanted to give a brief introduction.
I currently use a Canon 60D with a 50mm 1.8 lens. Starting to become frustrated with the quality of my images (I mainly take photos of my 21 month old son at the moment, but I'm starting to now take photos of my friends children/families to build my portfolio) so I'm about to purchase a Canon 100mm 2.8 IS lens. The price is scaring me a bit but I realise that you've got to have quality lenses to get quality images!
I work full time which is hard going with a toddler but we manage! My dream is to start my own little photography business with the focus being portaiture work. Newborns, children, families and maybe even pregnancy work. I love capturing special moments and I especially love seeing people's faces when I've captured a beautiful moment of their child and it's something that they're going to cherish and reflect upon for the rest of their lives.

Wayne63
24-01-2013, 2:50pm
Welcome to AP Megan, Enjoy the site and look forward to seeing some of your pics in the forums

bleAf
24-01-2013, 3:06pm
Welcome aboard Megan. Hopefully you'll find plenty of useful info here to help your passion for photography grow even more! :)

Mary Anne
24-01-2013, 4:16pm
Hi there Megan :action66: and Welcome to AP.. Sounds like you have a plan, and you must have a lot of patience also.
May I suggest to start a post on the Canon Forum asking which is the best Portrait lens for your 60D and how much money you want to spend.
You never know there may be a better cheaper alternative, though you can also use that lens for Macro if you have the time to chase Bugs and Insects.

ameerat42
24-01-2013, 5:29pm
^ with this. Welcome, and you're not the first who has agonised of lenses/quality.
Get some advice before parting with big bucks...
Am.

ricktas
24-01-2013, 6:36pm
Welcome aboard. Pull up a chair, join in and show us some of your photography

rwg717
24-01-2013, 9:29pm
Hi Megan and welcome to AP:)
Richard

Kym
26-01-2013, 9:16am
:gday: & Welcome
- lets see some photos in the main CC forums (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?5) maybe try a competition or 2 and have fun!

maybeoneday
26-01-2013, 1:46pm
Thanks everyone! Mary Anne, I think you might be onto something there. I've been doing a bit more research on lenses and speaking to one of my friends who is a photographer and I don't think the 100mm 2.8 is the way to go! Will post a Thread on the Canon forum and see what advice I can get :)

Maezyra
27-01-2013, 12:52am
Hi Megan,

Welcome to AusPhotography. I know how hard going it is working and with a toddler - I, myself, went back to full time work when my daughter was 7 months old, on top of all my music and photography commitments. It's tough at times, but so very worth it! As for the lens, I can't really help there much - I don't know much about Canon gear, but I worry that a 100mm lens might be great for close-ups, but not to much for full length shots, unless you want to shoot at a distance. Do you have a zoom kit lens? If so, use that, work out what focal length you are comfortable working at and make your decision from there. Up until recently, I predominantly used my 50mm, I found it very versatile, however then moved to a Nikkor 24-70mm 2.8 and that is practically never off my camera body now. Anyway, enjoy these forums, a lot can be learnt from here, so get out there into the forums and have fun! Look forward to seeing your pictures!!

Erin.