PDA

View Full Version : I'm overwhelmed! Help!

Eleventh Dream
19-01-2013, 5:24pm
Hi all,
My name is Suzanne and I have joined this site as I am in need of inspiration.
During August 2011, I moved to the Sunshine Coast from Manchester, UK and to be honest i'm a bit overwhelmed with what's on offer here, photography wise, the place is so huge!
I have photographed a few weddings and have taken some portrait shots for family and friends (in the UK), which I hope to develop as a full time business venture over here, however my real passion/hobby is Architecture, especially historical... those little treasures that have been abandoned or forgotten about.
I am currently using a Nokia D3000 and am completing an iPhotography course to enhance my technical skills.
Any ideas, help or advice would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks and I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Suzanne.

I @ M
19-01-2013, 5:31pm
Welcome to AP Suzanne, pull up a chair and join in.

however my real passion/hobby is Architecture, especially historical... those little treasures that have been abandoned or forgotten about.

Any ideas, help or advice would be very much appreciated.

Ummm, forget Australia, the place is only 50 25 decades young and the average building survival rate only equals about 50 years.

ricktas
19-01-2013, 5:31pm
Join in and you will get any advice, help you need.

Kym
19-01-2013, 5:49pm
:gday: & Welcome
- lets see some photos in the main CC forums (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?5) maybe try a competition or 2 and have fun!

Maybe have a look at the New to Photography (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showlibrary.php?title=Indexes:New_To_Photography_Book) book and the Learning Plan in the book. (It's handy to review the basics)

William
19-01-2013, 5:50pm
Hi Suzanne, And welcome to AP from me as well :) As the other guys have said , Just ask away and you'll recieve heaps of help in finding your way , Have fun and join in there are some great people on here :th3:

alsocass
19-01-2013, 5:51pm
Looking forward to seeing your work

Steve Axford
19-01-2013, 6:53pm
I have a sneaking suspicion that Australians aren't really interested in historical buildings, perhaps because we have so few - apart from a few old gaols, which we like to forget. We have "historical markers" that say things like "here used to be an historic building, but it burnt down 50 years ago and now there is just a bare field". Of course there are some old building around and they can be fascinating, but you will have to generate the interest as well as the photographs. The Sunshine Coast is quite a change from Manchester. Manchester has lots of human history, but less of nature. The Sunshine Coast is the reverse.

Kym
19-01-2013, 6:55pm
Hmmm ... come to Adelaide, we have a lot of old architecture in the City and North Adelaide :D

Wayne63
19-01-2013, 8:07pm
Welcome to AP Suzanne, enjoy the site and look forward to seeing some of your photo's in the forums

rwg717
19-01-2013, 8:44pm
Hi Suzanne and welcome to AP.:)
Richard

ameerat42
19-01-2013, 8:49pm
Hi Suzanne. Of course we have architecture here (surprise to say!). It's how you see it, but I suspect you know that. It may appear different from that elsewhere, but...
Am.

Eleventh Dream
20-01-2013, 9:28am
Hi all.... thanks so much for your super fast responses!
Yes, it is so different! I've taken some nice beach shots so far this year, which I could get very much used to, I'll get them uploaded for your feedback. Maybe there are some little hidden treasures that I'll find on my way, if not I'll just use my imagination.
Adelaide! Looks like I'll be taking a trip out there some time this year then.

Thanks for all your tips. Will get to work as soon as.

Suzanne

norwest
20-01-2013, 10:51am
Welcome, ED. Face the coast then do a 180 degree turn and travel as far in that direction as you're able. Then you'll see country and expanses that will amaze you, with all sorts of treasures along the way. Country most Australians never take the time to see and appreciate, mores the pity. And don't forget the 50,000 known years of civilisation.

Eleventh Dream
20-01-2013, 10:55am
Yessss.... wow! I certainly will do!! Most excited about that! Thanks so much!