PDA

View Full Version : DART!! Look what's happening again...

ameerat42
14-01-2013, 3:15pm
These blasted pop-up type ads, or rather, underlined random words that act as ads.
Can't remember what I did about it a good while back.
All I did today was install Foxit PDF reader, because the STYOUPID Adobe reader kept showing me blank pages.
Of course, I went thru carefully and un-ticked a lot of the silly install options.

Can somebody remind me?
Ta, Am.

Utter Rubbish! Have you ever seen "photos" like this?

Warbler
14-01-2013, 3:41pm
I don't see those. Fingers crossed!

ameerat42
14-01-2013, 4:25pm
Warbler.
It doesn't seem to happen in Firefox (yet, for which I feel a measure of fortune, too) but Chrome is awash with it.
I am seriously thinking of shelling out the bookmarks there and doing a clean reinstall. (But I am seriously lazy, so there's the thing. Actually,
it's more annoyed at even having to.)
A(Grr!)m.

Mark L
14-01-2013, 7:31pm
I don't know the answer to the question!

ricktas
14-01-2013, 7:50pm
Not sure with Chrome, but FF has an option to let you start it without all your add-ons, then if the problem disappears it is a matter of enabling an add-on and seeing what happens, and turn that add-on off again, go to the next one and do the same. Eventually you will find the one that is causing it and be able to uninstall it. Depending on how many add-ons you have, this could take a bit of time.

ameerat42
14-01-2013, 7:52pm
Thanks Mark. I'll try that. H:2biggn: H:2biggn: H:2biggn:

Seriously though, how've you been keeping (and Mrs) in these conflagatory times?
Mudgee hasn't featured in the news much at least, but I suppose you'd be on your toes.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure with Chrome, but FF has an option to let you start it without all your add-ons, then if the problem disappears it is a matter of enabling an add-on and seeing what happens, and turn that add-on off again, go to the next one and do the same. Eventually you will find the one that is causing it and be able to uninstall it. Depending on how many add-ons you have, this could take a bit of time.

Thanks Rick. I remember that last time there was a (???) little trick of a fix. I can't remember that add-ons had a part in it.
I will certainly wipe it tomorrow. Chrome, that is, and reinstall it from scratch.
In the meantime I am happily FFox-trotting.
Am.

Mark L
15-01-2013, 9:50am
Sorry to go off topic.

Seriously though, how've you been keeping (and Mrs) in these conflagatory times?
Mudgee hasn't featured in the news much at least, but I suppose you'd be on your toes.

Hargraves was threatened by fire last Tuesday and Wednesday (started be idiot with an angle-grinder). Took many days and much effort to contain and eventually put out the fire. Hotspot kept turning up in inaccessible gullies. Last Saturday was record January temp for Mudgee, 41.5. Spent the end of that arvo chasing lightning strikes!!! More bad fire weather later in the week.
Others deserve to grab the headlines.

ameerat42
15-01-2013, 2:38pm
I've nailed it!!!

The DART, ie.

In the process of removing Chrome completely before a fresh install, I noticed I had an extension called Savings Sidekick.

Well, it didn't ring a bell, so I looked it up and 99% of refs were about how to remove it. This one described it somewhat...
(Look, but don't touch!)
http://systemexplorer.net/file-database/file/savings%20sidekick-exe

Well, it was so obnoxificating that I removed it as an extension. So far so good.
Am.