PDA

View Full Version : Just switched to manual

alsocass
09-01-2013, 2:17pm
Hi,

I took the plunge and switched my camera to manual mode a few months ago. I have had my head in books and youtube videos and my camera manual learning as much as I can, and practicing as much as I can. I have owned my camera for a couple of years but never done anything other than auto. I am the family member who 'takes good snapshots'. I have always been really proud of my photos until I stood back and really looked at them last year and saw just how little control I had. Everything was so hit and miss, I didn't have a clue how to get a nice bokeh in the background (didn't even know the term) other then if I used my long lens I knew I had a bigger chance than if I used my short lens. My husband suggested that I learn... and both of us kind of wondered why I hadn't taken the plunge sooner.

For the last couple of months I have also been part of a mummy photo site, based in the US, but I got a bit sick of always seeing portraits of little kids, so I started looking for an Australian based photography site... and here I am.
I own entry level camera (Canon 1000D), a couple of kit lenses, and a 50mm f/1.8 (my xmas present along with a tripod). I also have lightroom4 which I am busy learning how to use.

I was a high school teacher (web design, math, IT) before taking leave to raise my children (currently a 3yo and 1yo). Being a mum pretty much defines me now and so I am hoping learning and taking photography will be a good hobby that might turn into a small income a few years down the track.

I feel like a bit of a kid in a candy store at the moment. Now that I have commited to learn I keep wanting to try every technique at once. From photos of my kids to photos of the moon, plants, landscapes, food... nothing is safe. I am hoping to find a place to learn the craft where I get to experience a wide range of photography styles so that I can get a feel for what I really enjoy doing.

Cass.

I @ M
09-01-2013, 2:56pm
Welcome to AP Cass,
join in with some of your images for critique and spend a few minutes passing your your opinions on to other posters about their photos.
Don't get too hung up on being in "manual" mode and investigate the way that the semi auto modes work as well, in particular aperture priority ( AV in Canon terms ) where you control the feel of the image with your desired aperture and the camera works out the shutter speed to suit. You will find that a very large amount of photographers will primarily use that mode as the camera can generally react more quickly and accurately that a human brain especially when photographing faster moving subject under changeable lighting. After all, we part our hard earned cash to pay for the latest and greatest in technology so we should use it to full advantage. :2smile:

Mary Anne
09-01-2013, 2:59pm
Hello Cass :action66: And Welcome to AP.. And Well Done on switching to manual I am a manual shooter too I feel its best for what I shoot.
Its great to have a go at all Genres as they say variety is the spice of life :D Looking forward to seeing what you post on the forums..

Wayne63
09-01-2013, 3:03pm
Welcome to AP Cass, enjoy the site and look forward to seeing some of your photo's in the forums

ameerat42
09-01-2013, 3:07pm
Well Cass. Join in and ask a few questions if you get stuck with any problems.
Am.

Kym
09-01-2013, 3:53pm
:gday: & Welcome
- lets see some photos in the main CC forums (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?5) maybe try a competition or 2 and have fun!

Cage
09-01-2013, 4:05pm
Hi and welcome to the site.

I almost always shoot in Manual mode, only occasionally using Auto to get an idea of the light.

Just use the "Sunny Sixteen' rule and work from there. In bright sunlight use f16, ISO100 and 1/100s. If using say, a 300mm lens, increase your ISO to 300 or if you want to stop some action at 1/500s you will have to adjust your ISO or 'F' stops by a total of 5 increments, and this becomes a juggling act depending on the depth of field you want.

Have a look at this website for a much better explanation than I can give. http://www.fredparker.com/ultexp1.htm#Light%20Intensity%20Chart

alsocass
10-01-2013, 9:46am
Thanks for the response. This seems like a really friendly forum, I am excited to have stumbled upon it. I spent last night perusing the 'New to Photography book', it is just the type of structure learning that I have been looking for, I am going to start working through it today.

I will post some images, but I am a bit nervous as I don't have anything very good... but I keep practicing!

Tikira
10-01-2013, 11:12am
Hi Cass and welcome to AP
We are indeed a helpful friendly bunch, ranging from totally new to photography to WOW.
You will learn a lot by joining in. Our own photography has improved unbelievably since joining AP. Reading, posting photo's and taking the CC offered on board, and adding your thoughts on others' photo's causes you to think more critically about your own shots, and practice then does the rest.

Di and Wayne

unistudent1962
11-01-2013, 6:55pm
Hi Cass,
Now that you've moved to manual you'll really start to experience what you can do with your camera.
Keep reading, looking at the forums and don't be afraid to ask questions.
Mark

rwg717
12-01-2013, 10:35pm
Cheers Cass and welcome to AP:2smilS:
Richard