PDA

View Full Version : What Camera..?

shell21
04-01-2013, 1:27pm
Hi.. I am looking for a new camera. I currently have a nikon d40x and 3 lenses. I am not getting the images I want and have been looking at Canon 6d and 7d, and 5d Mark11 Nikon d600. I am looking to go into full frame camera but is it worth the money..? What camera is best suited for portrait style photos but also something that can give me sharp images (toddler running) and also the really soft blurry background. Also what would be the best suited lenses..I prefer something I can zoom in a bit but also produce great blurry background and crisp image in even low light. I dont want to spend a fortune but want something that is going to last me. I am thinking the canon 6d as it is lightweight..another important consideration. I hate big chunky lenses too. I mainly will be photographing portrait style indoor and outdoor kids,couples and families. Please HELP..???:2ambiv:

ricktas
04-01-2013, 1:34pm
Hi!A D40x is a great bit of kit, so if you are not getting the images you want, it is the photographer, not the camera. Sorry to be blunt, but there is no reason you cannot get absolutely stunning photos from a D40x. I would suggest you learn how to use it.

The soft blurry background has nothing at all to do with the camera you own, it is about understanding how to control your camera and make it do that. You need to learn how to be a photographer. Do not upgrade anything, as you will only be disappointed at this time. Your D40x can do blurry backgrounds easily!

Go to the Ausphotography LIBRARY (on the main menu) and go to the NEW TO PHOTOGRAPHY section and work you way through it.

This might sound harsh, but the belief that owning a different camera is going to get you soft blurry backgrounds shows you need to learn first, your gear is not the issue here, the user is! I know that is not the help you were expecting, but it is the help you need.

oliverstwist
04-01-2013, 1:56pm
Hi .. I can't really help with your choice of camera, however I have just upgraded to a Canon 5D Mk II, with new lenses which I am very excited about. (Still waiting for my order to arrive). I have photog friends with this camera and it has come highly recommended. Their images are amazing. As for chunky lenses..I went with the compact 70-300mm zoom and the 17-40mmL . Tam

Kym
04-01-2013, 2:43pm
:gday: & Welcome
- lets see some photos in the main CC forums (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?5) maybe try a competition or 2 and have fun!

Maybe have a look at the New to Photography (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showlibrary.php?title=Indexes:New_To_Photography_Book) book and the Learning Plan in the book.

Check the New to Photography (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showlibrary.php?title=Books:New_To_Photography_Book) book and equipment guide before purchasing - lots of good advice.

Wayne63
04-01-2013, 2:43pm
Unless there is a fault with your camera why would you want to upgrade, as Rick said "D40x is a great bit of kit, so if you are not getting the images you want, it is the photographer, not the camera"

Wayne
04-01-2013, 3:38pm
If you are shooting that toddler in low light whilst they are moving quickly, the D40X in burst mode, and with it's focusing ability will still produce acceptable images, but not often stellar.

The blur you see in backgrounds, is only little to do with the camera, and far more to do with the lens, and it's aperture setting (controlled by the camera). In good light, the D40x should (if used correctly) as others have said produce great images.

If you want sharp images in poor light, I can highly recommend the Nikon D3s or D4 and either a Nikkor 200mm f/2.0VR, Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8VR or Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 lens to go with it. Both of those are full-frame bodies and with the lenses I mentioned, will produce outstanding blurry backgrounds. Short of that, try and learn more about the limitations of your current gear, and how to best utilise it in your shooting situations to achieve the desired results.

Speedway
04-01-2013, 8:28pm
I agree with Rick. It's not the camera it's the operator. I have a mate in Melb. who has a 600d, his son laughed at him for buying such a cheep camera as he had a 1DX, but when I was there at Christmas looking at my friends shots, he is still learning but his shots were good. Then his son showed me his, while there were some good shots a lot were OOF and motion blurred especially the ones of his sons playing sport, he was most upset with my comments saying he had a much better camera than his dad so should get better shots. I explained to him that he needed to learn how to take shots first (comp etc.) then learn how to use the camera. he got all huffy so I think that 1DX will sadly finish up in the bottom of a cupboard. It is too heavy for my mate to use as he lost the use of one side of his body due to a stroke and has to use the camera one handed. He has mastered this using my old 400D kit lenses on the 600d he is now thinking of upgrading his lenses.
Cheers
Keith.