PDA

View Full Version : Merry Xmas/Hannukah/(Chinese) New Year/Aussie Day/Birthday/Anniversary

harmo
20-12-2012, 1:36pm
Howdy All!

I have been shooting photos ever since my grandfather dropped his tripod on my head. I guess you could say it left an impression on me, and if I come across as a little weird... then you're getting a pretty clear image of who I am! :-) If the militant brand groupies out there are wondering what I shoot, I shoot anything I have with me. iPhone/iPad/iPod, Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Pentax, Sony, and even my notebook's webcam if I must. So I'm probably perceived as "disloyal" by some, and "flexible" by others.

It's doubtful that I will make friends when I say this, I think giving advice about why you love your camera is great... but when taken too far, the borderline (and not so borderline) religious zealots in certain "Brand camps" extolling the virtues of their choice and ridiculing/demonizing the alternatives need to get a life and go take more photos! Yep, I said it! Shoot with whatever you can, whenever you can, and hopefully as comfortably as you can. If you're not sure what you want, go into a store, and "Have a play!". Borrow your friend's cameras, see what you like and don't like, and if you don't like it, try a different camera/lens combination!

I know it's the silly season, and that everyone is wishing everyone else that Merry Christmas thing. It may seem trite, and perhaps a little unoriginal, but I thought it'd break up the "Hi there, Howdy, I'm back, etc" sentiment with something different.

I'm a very intermittent forum visitor, and I'm often busy with work, friends, and a very demanding cat... so naturally my account gets disabled on a regular occurrence. Personally, while I understand that this is a forum and people are to be encouraged to contribute, I don't want to fall into the trap of "Contributing fluff for the sake of contributing". It seems a little exclusive, that if I don't post anything for a while, that I can't even read the forums under my own account! Furthermore, it makes less sense to me that I can still read things as a visitor. This encourages me to consider, "Just not logging in". So in some ways, I don't entirely agree with how this forum works... but hey, we're all photographers, so it's nice that we can get together every now and then, but people shouldn't be punished or inconvenienced if they have little to say. I don't write posts that say nothing of importance... and I think that's a good thing!

Anyway, I'm happy to chat about anything, gear, photos, places, and even rants if they're informative. So I hope you're all going to have a great Xmas/New Years/2013, and good luck with the photography.

Take care, and fun photos!
HARMO

Kym
20-12-2012, 2:55pm
:gday: & Welcome Back
- lets see some new photos in the main CC forums (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?5) maybe try a competition or 2 and have fun!

Bluegleek911
20-12-2012, 6:59pm
Merry Christmas :xmas31::santa::christmasparty::xmas::xmas31::santa::christmasparty::xmas:

Mark L
20-12-2012, 9:51pm
Ah well HARMO , maybe post the occasional photo to stay active. Then I can learn how to do things better and if not, I won't comment with any fluff.
Merry Christmyth:2smile:

ricktas
20-12-2012, 10:00pm
Welcome back. One of the main reasons we differentiate between active and inactive site members is that we give away quite a few prizes on the site and we like to give those to the members that contribute, join in and help others. Thus those that do not, miss out on all the site offers.

ameerat42
21-12-2012, 10:06am
Hi Harmo.
Ta for your good wishes.
In many regards, you're like everybody else here. - When you're here.
Main difference, if I may observe, fewer started threads and no posted pictures (that I could find).

Changing that would do much to put away your fear of "fluff" and hey! who knows what could happen.
And, there are lots of other ways of not generating any.
Am.