PDA

View Full Version : Another newbie

rpow003
18-12-2012, 12:06am
Hi I'm Richard,
Hailing from the south side of Brisbane.

Cameras
After 8 years of saving waiting for a great and affordable digital SLR to come out, my wife and I bought a EOS 5D Mk2 and switched from film to digital. Fantastic.
We have a bunch of lenses for this camera - none of them Canon, most of them manual.
One lens is a Mamiya from a 645 format camera adapted it to work as a tilt-shift lens, and am in the middle of building a new housing for it.
A flash has joined my equipment bag recently. It is overpowered and requires manual setup, so I'm going to need some practise to get the best out of it.
I've calibrated all of my lenses and camera sensors for maximum quality. This is especially useful when shooting RAW on a point-and-shoot.
I built a stereo (3D) camera out of two identical point and shoot cameras running custom firmware. After making my own remote trigger I can shoot a moving object with perfect synchronisation. It should be capable of 3D video recording too, but that can wait for another day.

Techniques:
Well, I try to experiment with as many techniques as I can, though mostly stick to landscape subjects.
I like to shoot panoramas. A manual 14mm lens works well for this. Here are my finished projects (http://www.360cities.net/profile/richard_powell). HDR panoramas are better if the lighting is harsh.
Plain old HDR can be rewarding too, once the camera response is calibrated. I'm active on HDR and panorama forums, trying to help improve the software by testing beta versions.
I've been experimenting with snap-on lenses for my iPhone - I especially like the fisheye effect.
My latest project was a timelapse moonrise.
I'm trying low-light night photography and star trails at the moment, though the work required to set up for astrophotography is substantial, not to mention the learning curve.
Lightning photography was fun over the last couple of storm seasons, but there hasn't been enough visibility and/or storms this summer so far. I'm looking forward to trying the motion-trigger in Magic Lantern firmware on the 5D with lightning. Should get some good images there.

So hi, and I look forward to being part of this forum.

Richard.

Wayne63
18-12-2012, 5:40am
Welcome to AP Richard, Enjoy the site and look forward to seeing some of your photo's in the forums.

ricktas
18-12-2012, 6:09am
Welcome to AP. See you on the forums.

Kym
18-12-2012, 8:39am
:gday: & Welcome
- lets see some photos in the main CC forums (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?5) maybe try a competition or 2 and have fun!

Methinks you should be advanced :christmasparty:

Mary Anne
18-12-2012, 4:05pm
Hello Richard :action66: and Welcome to AP , sounds like you have been experimenting with lots of things.. Good on you. :th3:
Looking forward to seeing what you post on the Forums

ameerat42
18-12-2012, 4:53pm
Looks good, Richard.
Am.

xxdrakexx
18-12-2012, 6:04pm
Hi welcome to AP :)

rwg717
19-12-2012, 10:59pm
Hi Richard, welcome to AP.....saying hello to myself really?????:tog:
Richard