PDA

View Full Version : New to Dslr

michelletubsy
27-11-2012, 8:58pm
Hi everyone, In a moment of madness I purchased a Cannon 60D (which I love) but am out of my league with what it can do. I would love to be able to use it properly for our once in a lifetime trip to Canada next year. Looking forward to some advice, Regards Michelle

ricktas
27-11-2012, 9:00pm
Welcome Michelle. Check out the site LIBRARY and the New to Photography section, it should get you on your way to understanding your camera. how it works and how you can make it do what you want.

Join in on the forums

Wobbles
27-11-2012, 9:04pm
Hi Michelle, welcome to the site, have fun!

Cheers
John

Mark L
27-11-2012, 9:18pm
Welcome to AP.
That moment of madness was indeed a great moment. You'll see.:th3::)

rwg717
27-11-2012, 9:53pm
Cheers Michelle and welcome to AP. The big purchase as a 'moment of madness' will all be forgotten once you master it, I promise:)
Richard

Wayne63
28-11-2012, 6:40am
Welcome to AP Michelle, Enjoy the site and look forward to seeing some of your photo's in the forums

Mary Anne
28-11-2012, 7:16am
Hi there Michelle :action66: and Welcome to AP.. Great choice of camera in your moment of madness. :D
You will get lots of help here. Post some photos on the forums for cc thats a great way to learn..

Kym
28-11-2012, 8:30am
:gday: & Welcome
- lets see some photos in the main CC forums (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?5) maybe try a competition or 2 and have fun!

Maybe have a look at the New to Photography (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showlibrary.php?title=Indexes:New_To_Photography_Book) book and the Learning Plan in the book.

fenderstrat1963
28-11-2012, 10:45am
Hi and welcome :) The 60D is a lot of fun and you'll find plenty of people able to help with feedback on your photos - have fun!

mikew09
28-11-2012, 5:54pm
Hi Michelle, you have come to the right site for sure. Plenty of info hear and people to help. Everyone to there own but wasnt that long ago it was me with this 400D wondering what the heck DOF is and petrified to set to manual. This site has provided almost all my learnings. I shot on auto for about 2 days to get a feel for what ISO, shutter, aperture was all about and did a whole load of shots with different settings to see what he out comes were. I found it easiest to start on AV (aperture priority) as you can adjust your aperture, set ISO and to start with leave WB and such on auto. This way you control the light and you get a feel for shutter and other settings. I also think AV is a pretty safe setting too with less risk of exposure issues killing a shot.

Might seem over whelming but trust me, you get teh basics down pretty quite. Good thing about Digital, you can blaze away with as many shots as you want with no end of try this settings and it cost nothing - just your time.

Make a start and post some shots and enjoy.

I will keep an eye open for any questions you post as many others on the site will be happy to answer too.

Have fun.

Mike

Alandme
30-11-2012, 9:55am
Welcome and I'm sure that when you get to Canada, you'll be ready to take great shots to share with everyone here.