PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Melbourne

tsmpaul
10-11-2012, 12:24pm
Hi! My name is Paul. I had been taking mostly beach shots, sunsets, and stuff, while on holidays, with relative's cameras for years, but didn't own my own camera. As a hobby, I paint tiny plastic / metal figures for some board games I play with my brother, and in January last year I shopped about for a digital handheld with a good macro, to do close up shots of our toys for blogging on our gaming blogs, and came up with the Canon SX130 IS ultrazoom.

I really loved it's macro images, but on the day I got the camera, I tried experimenting on everything in and around the house. I was surprised to find that what I enjoy taking photos of the most, was things in my parent's garden, so now I've become a flower macro addict :)

I'm from an Art background, so I've been experimenting a lot with composition, but I'm also interested in learning more about post processing of my photos. At the moment I like to play around with the contrast / black / white levels in images, and have recently started playing around with 'unsharp masking' in a free graphic program called GIMP. Sometimes it makes the colours too extreme though, so it would be nice to see how to get a more natural look in my photos.

I'm very tempted too, to upgrade to a DSLR at some point, and might grab one over the next few months. I'm eyeing the Canon EOS 550D (rebel T2i). I'm pretty happy with the SX130 at the moment, for a digital compact.

Anyway, can't wait to check out the different areas of this site :)

Wayne63
10-11-2012, 12:30pm
Welcome to AP Paul, Enjoy the site and look forward to seeing some of your photo's in the forums

Mary Anne
10-11-2012, 1:04pm
Hello Paul and Welcome to AP.. I was like you six years ago with my Canon compact camera and wanted to go further with macro its very additive you know.
Will look forward to seeing what you post on the Forums..

ricktas
10-11-2012, 1:15pm
Welcome to AP. Show us some of your work

Kym
10-11-2012, 5:20pm
:gday: & Welcome
- lets see some photos in the main CC forums (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?5) maybe try a competition or 2 and have fun!

xxdrakexx
15-11-2012, 7:50pm
hi welcome to AP :)