PDA

View Full Version : New Member - Ovid

Ovid
03-11-2012, 1:43pm
Hi, fellow light painters.
I am not new to photography but I am still a beginner. I live in Brisbane and practice lawyering. I purchased my first camera in 1968 and then a Canon AE -1. I bought a Canon EOS Rebel in 2003 thinking the digital age would advance slowly; bought a Nikon D40 in 2008 and Nikon D7000 this year. I have only one Nikon Prime, a 50mm, 1.8; all the rest are zooms; 18 - 105 ; 18 - 200, and a some others. I don't have a special subject. I like digital; but also the subtlety of B&W film and recently purchased a development kit to reduce costs of processing. Thanks for listening and sorry to rabbit on.

Mary Anne
03-11-2012, 1:59pm
Hello :action66: and Welcome to AP.. This is the best place to come to learn all about it.
Processing your film sounds like a lot of hard work to me so good on you :th3:
Looking forward to seeing what you post on the Forums..

ricktas
03-11-2012, 2:05pm
Welcome to AP. See you on the forums. Note that you have been upgraded to intermediate. Anyone who has been photographing since the 1960's and has had a digital SLR camera since 2003 is not a beginner, in our books.

Wayne63
03-11-2012, 3:05pm
Welcome to AP, enjoy the site and look forward to seeing some of your pics in the forums

Kym
03-11-2012, 5:15pm
:gday: & Welcome
- lets see some photos in the main CC forums (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?5) maybe try a competition or 2 and have fun!

Mark L
03-11-2012, 9:21pm
G'day and welcome to AP Ovid.
You've found a good place to learn, share and teach.

..... Thanks for listening and sorry to rabbit on.
Don't worry about that, some here are good at it. :D

Ovid
04-11-2012, 12:47pm
Thank you one and all for a warm welcome. Actually, the Canon EOS was a film camera which I am using now for the B&W stuff. As soon as I find out how, I shall post a recent photo which I quite like - the composition makes it.

Mathy
04-11-2012, 5:56pm
Welcome Ovid. Do you have a darkroom set up at home? Enjoy the site, cheers Deb

StanW
04-11-2012, 6:06pm
Welcome to another film user. And I'm intrigued by your ID. A Latin scholar?

Mark L
04-11-2012, 8:16pm
.. Actually, the Canon EOS was a film camera which I am using now for the B&W stuff. As soon as I find out how, I shall post a recent photo which I quite like - the composition makes it.
Might not be the best option, but take a photo of it with your D7000. :confused013:)

Ovid
04-11-2012, 8:43pm
Thanks StanW - yes I did study Latin for a year at Uni but that was a long time ago. I always thought Ovid and David have a similar cadence. I see you come from the shaky isles. I spent a little time in NZ last year and my favourite place has to be Nelson. I could live there but I would miss the heat and humidity of Brisbane (not); and my family.

@Mark L: it is a Canon it is an EOS and I only use it for true B&W. Not the C41 stuff;
* Sorry, Mark. I see I misunderstood your post. The photo I intended to post was made with the D7000 - not the EOS. I put it up, not because it was technically good, but because the composition was very interesting. It reminded me of the barbed wire on the old Berlin Wall and the bird in flight seemed symbolic of that context. I'm not sure if anyone made the connection but it captured quite a sense of that time.

@ Mathy: No I don't have a darkroom. I develop the film and if I want to print, at the moment, I get it done commercially. (Did I see you sign off as 'Deb'?)

rwg717
04-11-2012, 10:39pm
Cheers ovid and welcome to AP:D
Richard

Mathy
04-11-2012, 11:04pm
@ Mathy: No I don't have a darkroom. I develop the film and if I want to print, at the moment, I get it done commercially. (Did I see you sign off as 'Deb'?)

Yes you did see me sign off as Deb :D I use Mathy as a nic on many forums because, by profession, I'm a non practising mathematician, cheers Deb

Ovid
04-11-2012, 11:55pm
That is neat. I suppose it's a sine of the times that you're not working in your profession. (Excue the pun).

xxdrakexx
05-11-2012, 12:12am
Hi welcome to AP :)