PDA

View Full Version : Do you use reading glasses when looking through the view finder?

Granville
01-11-2012, 4:00pm
A quick exchange with Mary Anne prompted me to post up the question, because I have no idea whether or not wearing reading glasses while looking through the viewfinder is a common thing. I wear glasses for reading but not longer vision, which is very good.

I tried it a few weeks ago, because I was wondering whether the eye is focussing on the mirror plane or on the reflected object as if it was the real distance away. I was blown away when the view in my view finder seemed much sharper when I used my reading glasses.

For those who use reading glasses, is it common to use reading glasses through the viewfinder?

Edit, later.

Forget I ever asked that. Read another post about a similar thing (search is wonderful) and from that, went to my camera manual and found a Diopter adjustment thingy. I cannot believe I have had this camera for over 12 months and I just found that. Always learning.

ameerat42
01-11-2012, 4:19pm
A quick exchange with Mary Anne prompted me to post up the question, because I have no idea whether or not wearing reading glasses while looking through the viewfinder is a common thing. I wear glasses for reading but not longer vision, which is very good.

I tried it a few weeks ago, because I was wondering whether the eye is focussing on the mirror plane or on the reflected object as if it was the real distance away. I was blown away when the view in my view finder seemed much sharper when I used my reading glasses.

For those who use reading glasses, is it common to use reading glasses through the viewfinder?

Edit, later.

Forget I ever asked that. Read another post about a similar thing (search is wonderful) and from that, went to my camera manual and found a Diopter adjustment thingy. I cannot believe I have had this camera for over 12 months and I just found that. Always learning.

Granville. I'm glad you found the dioptre adjuster.

The point is I do wear reading glasses for reading, but not for distance. I also have not needed to change the dioptre setting on the camera, since it is (usually) set for "infinity".

So what did you really mean originally? Is it that "if you wear glasses" at all, especially for distance, do you... (as asked)?

Am.

Rattus79
01-11-2012, 4:36pm
I can't use my wife's camera on anything but autofocus (no liveview) due to her massive dioptre settings. (She's nearly blind in one eye and can't see out the other)

She does love that it's the only time she doesn't have to wear glasses :D

Mark L
01-11-2012, 8:56pm
Edit, later.

Glad you did that,'cause I was about to go searching for that thread. It also improved my viewfinder eyesight.

aussie girl
01-11-2012, 10:15pm
I use glasses for reading, but without them, my vision of things further away is also a bit blurry, not totally, but just enough to make peoples faces just that bit out of focus. It is a nightmare for me when trying to make sure the focus is spot on when taking photos, and that is probably why none of mine are clear and sharp. Tried the adjustable diopter dial, but don't think it made that much difference to me personally. One eye is worse than the other, and it is really difficult to use the view finder with glasses on.

Granville
02-11-2012, 9:13am
So what did you really mean originally? Is it that "if you wear glasses" at all, especially for distance, do you... (as asked)?

Am.

I meant, if you wear glasses for reading. I hadn't investigated an further than that.

Some interesting comments here about the diopter adjustment. I'm going bush for 4 days tonight, so I'll have plenty of time to find out how much adjustment is needed and what difference it makes, if any.

HelenClaire
06-11-2012, 12:09am
LOL you're not alone. Had my camera for 4 years and only just discovered a depth of field button that I never knew was there. I had got out my manual to find something else and ended up discovering all this stuff I didn't know. Amazing what you learn when you take the time to read that thing called a manual LOL :Doh:

Speedway
06-11-2012, 8:46am
An old saying "If at first you don't succeed - read the manual" I wear glasses both for normal vision and stronger ones for reading, I have the dioptre adjusted to my normal glasses but have to switch to my reading glasses to view the shots on the LCD screen, this makes live view useless to me. I also wear slightly different ones for computer use and have no problems. A friend who has multi-vision glasses found them a hindrance and switched to single vision glasses for photography.
Cheers
Keith.

Bulley61
09-03-2013, 4:34pm
Thanks for these posts. I am new to photography and I have been disappointed with the focus of most of my shots so far...they seem to look OK at the time but when I get them up on the computer they are a bit fuzzy. I wear multi-focal glasses but do not generally wear my glasses when taking photos. Perhaps this is my issue. I will try the Diopter adjuster.

Kym
09-03-2013, 4:44pm
I don't use my readers with my camera, I just set the dioptre :th3:

pixy
09-03-2013, 7:05pm
My dioptre will not give my enough adjustment,the idea in setting it up is to look at a featureless white wall or clear blue sky,and get the focus screen in focus.

Jack.

ashey
09-03-2013, 8:14pm
I need glasses to read, found the diopter on day one but need the glasses when using live view to focus.

William
09-03-2013, 9:00pm
Put the cam on Auto focus , Thats it , Does'nt matter how blury it looks in the Viewfinder , I dont need glasses but I do adjust the Diopter to suit :)

PS : Focus has nothing to do with what your seeing :D

Kym
10-03-2013, 8:54am
My dioptre will not give my enough adjustment,the idea in setting it up is to look at a featureless white wall or clear blue sky,and get the focus screen in focus.
Jack.

There is a attachment eye piece that helps that. I.e. the Pentax O-ME53 or the 3rd Paty KPS U-13C Magnifying Eyepiece

Speedway
10-03-2013, 9:20am

Jack.
How can you focus on a featureless wall. There is nothing to focus on?
Keith.

Brigitte
10-03-2013, 11:10am
There is a attachment eye piece that helps that. I.e. the Pentax O-ME53 or the 3rd Paty KPS U-13C Magnifying Eyepiece
Has anyone used these ? How effective are they?

axle01
10-03-2013, 11:17am
I have to use my glasses as the dioptre will not give my enough adjustment, also i have to look at what i am taking a photo of before i take a photo of it.

Axle

Speedway
10-03-2013, 11:52am
I can (just) set the dioptre to my eyes. But without my glasses I cannot see the subject clearly so I keep my glasses on. I only use +1.5 readers for general vision and +3 for reading and viewing the camera LCD screen, for the computer I use +2.75 as these cover all my needs at a cost of under $40 I don't see the need to spend $300+ on prescribed glasses. I have never had much problem using glasses with the viewfinder except occasionally when the sun is at the right angle I have to shade that side but I can remember having the same problem before I wore glasses.
Cheers
Keith.

Bear
10-03-2013, 2:32pm
I have similar issues but am short sighted so any close work is fine but looking at anything further than 5metres gets blurry. Most recently I was taking night shots trying to capture the Milky Way and was forever flipping my glasses up and down, looking to the sky and then to the camera and back again. Any thing close goes into double vision when wearing my glasses.

Anyone have a solution other than multifocal glasses?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

pixy
10-03-2013, 8:16pm
Originally Posted by pixy

Jack.
How can you focus on a featureless wall. There is nothing to focus on?
Keith.

Keith,the idea is to have the focus screen in focus,you can look through the fc that will make your eyes adjust to what you are looking at,maybe in focus or out of focus,

if you look at the focus screen and compose, it should be in focus,if you can remember the split screens for focusing, you would look at the screen which was very good for

largetures, small f numbers, this is not as important when using smaller apertures.

When i was rifle shooting with open sights, you would focus on the rear sight in much the same way as looking at the focusing screen

Jack.

Mark L
10-03-2013, 9:40pm
If needs be;

Put the cam on Auto focus , Thats it , Does'nt matter how blury it looks in the Viewfinder , I dont need glasses but I do adjust the Diopter to suit :)

PS : Focus has nothing to do with what your seeing :D

Kym
14-03-2013, 2:57pm
Has anyone used these ? How effective are they?

I use the Pentax O-ME53 and it is great

Cage
14-03-2013, 3:24pm
Yes, I look through the distance part of the glasses and not the reading part.

After doing the dioptre adjustment, everything is quite sharp.

Speedway
14-03-2013, 3:39pm
When i was rifle shooting with open sights, you would focus on the rear sight in much the same way as looking at the focusing screen
Jack.
When I was rifle shooting Military Range Rifle we focused on the front sight and the bull, if you tried to focus on the rear sight you couldn't see the front sight or target. I had 20/20 vision then. I now find open sights useless and use a scope.

William
14-03-2013, 6:49pm
Using Sunny's is hard for me, Spent 6 hrs at the Quiksilver Pro Surfing comp for the finals yesterday and I was going blind because I could'nt wear my Sun Glasses while shooting , Not a hope in hell in checking the shots , Just used the histogram for reference , Thank goodness for auto focus :D

ameerat42
14-03-2013, 7:01pm
Well, to recap: No.

Speedway
14-03-2013, 8:10pm
Another recap. Why would you use reading (close up) glasses when viewing something at a distance anyway? So the answer is no.
Cheers
Keith.

waylib
14-03-2013, 10:23pm
I have similar issues but am short sighted so any close work is fine but looking at anything further than 5metres gets blurry. Most recently I was taking night shots trying to capture the Milky Way and was forever flipping my glasses up and down, looking to the sky and then to the camera and back again. Any thing close goes into double vision when wearing my glasses.

Anyone have a solution other than multifocal glasses?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

Having been in the Optical Industry for the last 20 odd years I can tell you that there is no easy fix for having clear vision at every working distance when taking photos. I have fitted many photographers with Multifocal specs and most of them will say that they work most of the time. You just have to make sure you are using the correct part of the lens.

pixy
16-03-2013, 5:47pm
When I was rifle shooting Military Range Rifle we focused on the front sight and the bull, if you tried to focus on the rear sight you couldn't see the front sight or target. I had 20/20 vision then. I now find open sights useless and use a scope. ]quote

Keith,what I was refereeing to was initially sighting a rifle you would look at the rear sight ,line it up with the blade or post then superimpose it over the target,you don`t focus on the target.

Jack.

The same is true with the camera sight the focusing screen,then look through it for you shot,to me it is very similar.

Brian500au
17-03-2013, 11:57am
I hate wearing glasses when I am using my camera but I have little choice. I need reading glasses to make adjustments to the shutter speed, aperture etc. I have learned to live with setting shutter speed, ISO and aperture - make sure the focus point is where i want it to be, then shoot. I also need my glasses to check the histogram (and make adjustments if necessary). I find if I am accurate with my focus point (I never compose and move) then I get 9/10 correct.