PDA

View Full Version : Difficulties With Olympus e-350

BeverleaRose
25-09-2012, 11:48am
Hi Everyone!
I am not a new member, but I have not yet used the forums to ask any questions, etc. Nor have I posted any of my photos! Actually I was unwell for a long time, and have only now picked up my health. I am now heavily involved in posting information onto Ancestry.co.uk - onto all my Family Tree branches (as well as my husband's). This has also resulted in are-kindling interest in my old love of photography as a hobby! I have been doing a lot of work, going back through all my old family photos, and modifying them, so that I can post them onto Ancestry online trees. Also, I grow roses, and we now have about 550 roses in our garden, and am now trying to take photos of as many different varieties as I can. Unfortunately, I am striking some problems trying to take good close-ups of these, and trying to find the balance between good photos and well-lit photos. The fine details I am after are eluding me! I am having trouble trying to find out what I am doing wrong with my later model Olympus e-350 - I had an e-340 Olympus a few years back, and knew how to set that very well, but I find the e-350 much harder to understand! Has anyone else found this to be true? I would like to hear some feed-back please, if you have?
Bev Schellen :)

ricktas
25-09-2012, 11:52am
Post some of the troublesome photos with EXIF intact to the critique forums and people will be able to assist further. Good to see you joining in

posted from my Samsung Galaxy S III

Mary Anne
25-09-2012, 2:17pm
Hello Bev and sorry to read that you have not been well though glad you are feeling better now and are back on the Forum.
Will look forward to seeing what you post in the Forums when you get your camera problem worked out.
I have a few roses only about 40 though :D and have no problem taking close-ups with my Canon cameras and Tamron 90mm macro lens.
If you dont have a macro lens then perhaps you are taking them too close, better to stand further back to get a sharper image then crop..
As Rick wrote post a photo in the Plants/ Fungi Forum there are plenty of us here that will be able to help you

Kym
25-09-2012, 2:25pm
:gday: & Welcome Back
- lets see some photos in the main CC forums (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?5) maybe try a competition or 2 and have fun!

BeverleaRose
26-09-2012, 8:59pm
Thanks Rick for your comment! However I don't know what you mean by 'EXIF' - what does that stand for, and what does it actually mean, please? Also how do I find the 'critique forums' you mentioned, please? I get awfully lost trying to find the different Forums, so that I can post onto them!

ricktas
26-09-2012, 9:07pm
EXIF is the digital data that is attached to all digital photos at the time of shooting. It can tell us the lens/camera/fstop/ISO/shutter speed, what mode was used, if the flash fired and a lot more. It can really help when someone is having an issue, as members can see all the shooting data and it can be useful to ascertaining if a setting contributed to the issue, and then it can be discussed with ways to remedy it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exchangeable_image_file_format

BeverleaRose
26-09-2012, 9:14pm
Dear Mary Anne,
Thank you so much for answering my first tentative post - I rather feel out of my depth on these pages, but am hopeful that I will soon learn how to use them better! About the close-ups (of rose and flower pics) that I am particularly having problems with. I will try what you have suggested about taking them further away, and then afterwards cropping them to how I want them. I am fairly good at cropping photos - especially also with my close-ups of people for my genealogical research! So, it's only logical to use the same skills I use there, with my plant close-ups! I just never thought about it in that way, and I am very grateful to you for pointing this out for me..!!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the information about EXIF, and also for the URL, so that I can look it up, and find out what it's all about! Thanks so much for the tip! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Rick! Thanks for the information about EXIF, and also for the URL, so that I can look it up, and find out what it's all about! Thanks so much for the tip!

Mark L
27-09-2012, 9:05pm
G'day Bev.
Ask in the right place and people here will lend a hand.
It takes a little while to figure things here on AP (but not to long).
The place to post photos of flowers is in the Nature forum. Just scroll down the page that you accessed this intro thread from. Stop at Nature and you'll see Plants/Fungi. Click on that.
Now to start a thread and put a photo in it requires a little more reading, so click on this .... http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showlibrary.php?title=How_Do_I:How_to_post_and_link_your_photos_into_forum_threads

Mary Anne can't wait to see some of your roses.:)