PDA

View Full Version : New beginnings

Jamess
26-08-2012, 10:24pm
Just found this forum on Dr Google. I am relatively new to photography, I have an old Olympus OM10 I bought at the birth of my first daughter.
I also have a couple of point and click cameras, a Cybershot, and a Lumix TZ 7. With spring in the air I have decided to take up photography
as a more serious hobby. I particularly enjoy nature shots, such as wild flowers, and birds. I have ordered a new Canon 60D with a kit lens, I think it is 18-55 mm. I pick it up Tuesday! The reason I have attempted to join this forum is to try and learn the basics from those who know more than me (everyone). I live and work on the central coast NSW.

rwg717
26-08-2012, 11:45pm
Welcome Jamess, nice to have you along:D
Richard

ricktas
27-08-2012, 6:07am
Welcome to AP James. Check out the New To Photography section of the site Library, as it will give you lots of information about getting to know how to use your camera effectively and creatively. Join in on the forums and show us some photos soon too.

xxdrakexx
27-08-2012, 7:02am
Hi Jamess welcome to AP :)

Wayne63
27-08-2012, 8:09am
Welcome to AP Jamess, Have a look at the Library section http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showlibrary.php as it is a good start.

Mark L
28-08-2012, 9:24pm
G'day Jamess.
The 60D is a pretty handy camera.:)
And AP is a pretty handy place to ask for help along the learning curve.

Kym
28-08-2012, 10:03pm
:gday: & Welcome
- lets see some photos in the main CC forums (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?5) maybe try a competition or 2 and have fun!

Jamess
30-08-2012, 7:30am
Thanks for the welcome guys. My new camera has arrived! I have been spending all my spare time reading the manual and
learning what all the buttons are for. There are more than 300 pages in the manual, and about the same in the emanual for the software instructions! It will be a while before any photos appear. Still cant stop smiling though. :D

BillB
31-08-2012, 4:18am
Welcome Jamess.

Mathy
01-09-2012, 9:52am
Hi James and welcome to AP :) A new camera is always an exciting time. The Beginners Photo of the Week Comp is an excellent place to start showing your photos, cheers Deb

mugget
01-09-2012, 1:43pm
Welcome to the forum!

If you are having a tough time figuring out all the different controls & options available in your photography, or feel that you just want a better rounded technical knowledge, I can thoroughly recommend Understanding Exposure by Bryan Petersen. That one helped me get a good handle on just how shutter speed, aperture and everything else all tie in together.

Cya around the forum. :th3: