PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

RubyKatz
15-07-2012, 10:26am
I am as new as you are going to get to these forums.
I am the ultimate beginner with a poor memory, so I will be writing down a lot of what you tell me and will have to put it into practice.
My name is Kathy, most people call me Kath or probably unkind things behind my back. Those people are not worth my time.
I am not sure at this stage what area of photography I like best. I would like to experiment with macros but have had no training whatsoever within this area and probably haven't got the right equipment yet.
I would like to shoot the moon but also don't have the right lens for that yet either.
I do appreciate the beauty that surrounds me in my town of Wodonga, Vic, and that many places are screaming to be photographed well. I have seen others take incredible photos, so well they look as if they have been Photo shopped, it is these type of pics that would be my ultimate desire to take.
I don't plan on doing this professionally it is just a hobby that I would like to get better at.
I plan to examine all of your photos better and understand the settings you have used so I can photograph better pictures for me. I do not have an individual style as yet. I do not understand how to use Photoshop properly either. So at this stage everything is hit and miss with me.
You are never too old to learn but sometimes I just feel that way.
Am looking forward to this new journey I find myself on.

WhoDo
15-07-2012, 10:31am
Welcome aboard, Kath. Your best friend here will be the New to Photography book (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showlibrary.php?title=Indexes:New_To_Photography_Book), in the library linked at the top of the page. Work your way through it, ask questions and practice. You'll be capturing great images in no time at all. Don't forget to join in the forums, too. You don't have to give "expert" commentary; just say what you think about a photo, or how it makes you feel. Either way the poster will be grateful for your input. :th3:

ricktas
15-07-2012, 10:34am
Welcome to AP Kath. Great intro, you will fit right in here. So pull up a chair, show us some photos, learn from the feedback and your skills will start to grow, and we can join you on the ride.

Kym
15-07-2012, 11:01am
:gday: & Welcome !!
- lets see some photos in the main CC forums (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?5) maybe try a competition or 2 and have fun!

For reasons that may not be obvious - thanks for a great intro!

Mary Anne
15-07-2012, 11:47am
Hello Ruby and Welcome to AP.. This is a fantastic Forum to get you on your way.
You have certainly made a big impact on the Macro Forum threads and Thank You..:th3:
And I will answer all your replies after I get lunch when you tell me what brand of camera you are using.

RubyKatz
15-07-2012, 1:29pm
Thanks WhoDo, I didn't even notice the Library tab. I have been wading through all the other site information and my eyes are now watering from all the reading!!

I am not quite comfortable with attempting to post an image, nor even sure at this stage that I am allowed to? I do not belong to another site that allows me to store my photos, and I will have to look again to see how to reduce them.

I do put some on Face Book and was wondering if I could use those ones in here? Not that I would know how?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks RicTas,

When I eventually work out how, I will :)

- - - Updated - - -

You are right, they are not obvious???

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Mary Anne,

I think you may have worked out already I have already become a fan of your photography. I thought when I put the details in my profile they would display so others could read them? Anyway I have a Nikon D7000 with a 18mm to 105mm lens, and a tripod of no special mention.

I used to own a Canon 400D and blundered my through trying to understand how to use it. Recently, I did a photography course that went for a day, and now understand a fair bit more about the different settings. I will always be on a steep learning curve I feel.

Mary Anne
15-07-2012, 1:52pm
Hello Ruby, and Yes I have and Thank You so much.. If you go to Setting up the top of the page on the right click on that
Then click on Edit Signature which is on the left you can then type what gear you have then click Save Signature.
I will go and answer that reply now as I can help even with Nikon macro lens as a few of our Members use them..
You will be right after you have got through the NTP Book and ask away.. Yes you can post images to the forum for cc.
Most of us here upload our images to Photobucket or flickr I find PB the easiest I use both, and they both have a freebie..

mongo
15-07-2012, 4:19pm
Mongo bids you hi and welcome.

after a while and get to knows us, you will discover that Mongo offers free pet minding services :D

RubyKatz
15-07-2012, 6:24pm
Good Mongo, cos we have a couple of wild unsociable felines that need minding here! I would love to photograph them together, but all the hissing and snarling that goes on makes it rather impossible....however I can probably Photoshop two separate images of them and put them together....when I work out how????

I should be taking baby steps I know, and doing the basics. Now day has turned into night and I have to go back to work tomorrow so play time here is nearly over....drat.

WhoDo
15-07-2012, 6:42pm
Good Mongo, cos we have a couple of wild unsociable felines that need minding here!

Careful, Kath. Mongo is AP's culinary indiscriminant and felines are a favourite delicacy on his diet! :p Let him mind your cats and their snarling will be louder and more fervent, yet the least of your worries. :lol:

William
15-07-2012, 6:45pm
You'll go well on here , Welcome to AP from me as well , Your already getting involved , Dont be affraid , Post some shots for CC and recieve some useful help from all of us - Bill :)

RubyKatz
15-07-2012, 6:51pm
Thanks Mary Anne I have now found the signature tab, I hope it has worked ok...

- - - Updated - - -

These are old tough cats, they would give him fur balls and be too tough to swallow...

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks William,

I notice by your signature you are dripping with awards... I can learn from people like you, I hope (why isn't there an icon for fingers crossed?)

WhoDo
15-07-2012, 6:56pm
:crossed: There is, Kath, but you haven't discovered it yet! Don't push yourself too hard on the first day! ;)

Bennymiata
15-07-2012, 8:51pm
HI Kath, don't rush yourself.
Photography is a thing to be enjoyed, not rushed through and give you high blood pressure!

The most important thing about photography is to enjoy it.

Let's see some of your work. I know I should post more of mine up too.