PDA

View Full Version : Who to ask and where to go?

Mr Felix
10-06-2012, 10:18am
Folks, I have been told, so please don't remind me.

I have two "point and shoot" cameras.

A nikon and pentax.

My imagination and something else want to make a "support" mechanism like those for the HUGE cameras.

Walking down the street one day I found one of those "luxo" type lamps - with the pantograph mechanism from the base to the light.

Granted it needs a base, but I can work on that. But if I replace where the light is with a "Bracket" which has the screw/bolt to go into the bottom of the camera, it would be nice.

But where would I get the part which screws into the bottom of the camera made with the right design/shape to then attach to the lamp's mechanism?

ricktas
10-06-2012, 10:22am
by support mechanism, do you mean a tripod?

If so there are already quite a range of tripods for point and shoot cameras available, quite cheaply as well. Have a look at Gorillapods : http://joby.com/gorillapod amd just attach one of these using the grippy legs, to your 'support mechanism'

Mr Felix
10-06-2012, 10:38am
Well, "tripod" would be a mis-noma. (bad name)

The light mechanisum is two bars, parallel to a mid-point where another two parallel bars go to the light mechanism.

Springs hold it from flopping about and it sits in a base.

Where the red arrow points is where I would make the "bracket" to which the camera would connect/bolt.

The light would be removed.

As to the other end, well that is not too much of a problem.

Any thoughts?

- - - Updated - - -

One of those would be nice too.

When I was in NZ, one of those would have been nice as I was hang gliding. Tie it around the bar to get a pilot's perspective of the flight.

mikec
10-06-2012, 10:45am
I have one of those ikea lights for my desk. They make great cheap lights but as a camera support they would plain suck, they aren't stable enough and have an obvious wobble once you move the light shade around I don't even know if the springs would cope with the weight of a small DSLR.

Seriously just buy a cheap tripod for around $100 and it would be far better than this.