PDA

View Full Version : cf card prob

pjs2
12-05-2012, 8:59pm
I have a San disk Extreme IV that will now not allow me to load photo's into my computer using cf port on computer or card reader. It still works in camera and I can download using cables from camera to computer. Any ideas as to why it will now not read in computer or card reader. Card reader works OK with sd and xd cards.

Thanks
Peter

mpb
12-05-2012, 9:55pm
An interesting problem. Have you tried to format the card? Also does the card reader work with other cf cards. Maybe the card reader has a bent/broken pin? But if you also have a computer port seperate from the card reader then it is unlikely both have that problem.

pjs2
12-05-2012, 10:05pm
Hi mpb,

Yep tried reformating card. I only have the one CF card atthe moment. The only other thing that I have done recently is a disc defragmenterand all weny OK.

ameerat42
13-05-2012, 10:45am
Does (the possibly old) hardware even recognise (this quite recent) card or its capacity?
Am.

pjs2
13-05-2012, 7:16pm
Hi ameerat42,

I have had the card / comp for quite a while and had no probs. Just one of those wierd things that jumps up every now and then. Just thought someone else had shared my pain before. :(

ameerat42
13-05-2012, 7:25pm
(Hmm! In that case, :scrtch:)
I would be interested to know what/if any error messages appear.
Am.

pjs2
13-05-2012, 7:44pm
The only (not so much an error message) actions on the screen were the little rotating torch that looks for files popped up for a second or two and if you wiggled the card in both readers the drive letter would pop up for a second as well.

ricktas
14-05-2012, 6:32am
Sounds to me like a damaged connection. As it happens in both readers, it would seem one of the connectors inside the CF card is damaged. Easiest solution, throw it away and buy a new one.

ameerat42
14-05-2012, 8:39am
Sounds to me like a damaged connection. As it happens in both readers, it would seem one of the connectors inside the CF card is damaged. Easiest solution, throw it away and buy a new one.

At least check if the new one does the same. It could be the card-reader you chuck.
Am.

pjs2
15-05-2012, 9:22pm
I'm thinking it's the card as well. Will pick up another soon and give it a try.

Thanks again,
Peter

Speedway
16-05-2012, 1:16am
Just had a similar problem with 2 card readers the first I later found a broken pin had stuck in the card the second had a bent pin due to the broken pin lodged in the card. Luckily I hadn't tried to put the card back in the camera before I found the problem. I removed the broken pin from the card and it still works ok. I threw the 2 cheap readers away and ordered a Lexar USB3 reader.
Keith.

ameerat42
16-05-2012, 8:20am
And again. This is why I have stopped using card readers routinely. I had to straighten CF pins 1nce or 2ce and I don't think too much CF movement is worth it.
It now stays in the camera, and that is hooked up via USB cable. The same has carried over to SD-card cameras.
Am.

William
16-05-2012, 1:54pm
I do the same as AM for the same reasons , Once every 6 mths or so I remove the card and reinsert it , Just to make sure it does'nt jam in there :D