PDA

View Full Version : Does everyone want to be a photographer now?

Andrea1
11-05-2012, 11:29pm
I've noticed in the last couple of years that so many people want to be photographers.

I love it as a hobby but even if i decided in the future to pursue a career in it (although highly unlikely) i can't imagine how one can make a living from it these days as there are so many out there.

It seems everyone is doing a course or workshop, buying SLR's (yes of course this doesn't make anyone a photographer) etc.
Sometimes i wonder what the future of photography will be, is it an art that has kind of become cheapened in the sense that so many can do it....although not necessarily professionally or even well?

Dan Cripps
12-05-2012, 12:14am
Yes. Yes they do.

Eberbachl
12-05-2012, 12:19am
I've wanted to be a photographer since I was about 8 or 10. At least in my lifetime, pretty much everyone has been able to take family snaps. The gear's much better these days though, and budding photographers are more prolific. I don't think that cheapens photography though... buying a DSLR and posting family snaps on Facebook does not the pro photographer make, no more than buying a nice guitar at your local music store makes you a musician. I've seen great guitarists play amazing music on a cheap Squier, and I've seen people really suck on an expensive custom instrument. Similarly I've seen loads of sucky pictures taken on a high end DSLR and some amazing images snapped on a cheap POS. :D

bricat
12-05-2012, 3:59am
What is probably not good now for the pro is nearly everyone is taking snaps with the iphone/and other types and being "Johnny on the spot" that shot is being used by the media outlets. Pro's will always have work they might just have to reinvent the wheel. cheers Brian

ricktas
12-05-2012, 7:13am
I think your title says it all 'does everyone WANT to be a photographer'.

Go on FB and look at the number of people who have photography pages and yes it would seem so, cause most of them still should be in the WANT category. Facebook is free, and therefore they can setup their 'business' with a few clicks and voila. It would be interesting to see how many of them have an ABN, registered business and take our public liability insurance, etc.

The future of photography will be a lot of dusty entry level DSLR's in cupboards around the world, or up for sale on E-Bay to the next gen of 'wannabes', and those that take the time and learn the skills needed, setup a 'proper' business and work hard will still be the professional photographers.

Most people own cars, and some dream of being a race car driver, but even though cars are everywhere, only a relative few make it to the top.

Kel
12-05-2012, 7:57am
So of just want to take good photo of our sport and friends and Family as I now where I live, especially in the sport that I do their no one that goes around the draft and sell their photo's (their a few photography that go to couple of the events. An the other point is that not everyone can a pay the price of a pro photographer as I now from my self when I got married and had my little girl the price of have newborn shot where 650 - 800 dollars for 4 photo's with one of then being printed at 11 x 15 inch to put on the wall and when I got married the best price I got from pro photograph was $3500 with out travel and for only 3 hours ( they guy to did my wedding came for the whole day and I end up with over 200 hundred photo instead of 100. I can understand why pro price are that as the gear that you use are not cheap

As me personal is not trying to a pro but would like one day to sell draft photo's

I believe that their will always be a place in pro photography as i know few people gone out and brought a flash DSLR cameras taken done it for 1 year or two then you never see take photo's again, to me it just the latest crazy that everyone want too do.

ameerat42
12-05-2012, 8:52am
You pick up a camera, you take a photo, you do it regularly.

That is CLEARLY the behaviour of a giraffe!

Thanks for pointing out my error of terminology.

Hey I went to the zoo once and I saw this photographer. He was tall and yellow and spotted...

Anyway, he was a great hit with all the giraffes there...

Steve Axford
12-05-2012, 9:01am
Giraffes?

Everyone who takes photos is a photographer. Then there are exceptional photographers, and then there are professional photographers. We tend to get confused about which is what.

Terri
12-05-2012, 10:07am
I kind of missread your meaning from the title. I thought you meant, does everyone want to own a camera and take pics (be a photographer)? Probably, the answer is most people! But, I think of myself as a photographer, but have NO aspirations to ever be a pro photographer. I guess it's like, if you have a guitar and play music you're a musician - but that doesn't make you a pro musician.

In my opinion (not terribly educated on the matter) what will change the landscape for pro photographers will more likely be photoshop and other editing tools. The company I work in, every one of the IT guys has a DSLR. Whilst I think I take better photos than them, I certainly don't edit better than them... and as for one of their friends who's also a web designer... his work is amazing.

Of course, none of it looks "real" anymore - but one more generation and I reckon "real" will become irrelevant.

Lazyshooter
12-05-2012, 10:08am
For me my aims are simple, ) take photos for my personal enjoyment and have something to remember places I have been or things I have done, and 2) get a great storm photo one day that I can print large. No interest in making money and I am under no illusions that I have the talent to do so.

Terri
12-05-2012, 10:10am
For me my aims are simple,....... get a great storm photo one day that I can print large.

Brilliant! :th3:

jjphoto
12-05-2012, 10:15am
I don't think EVERYONE wants to be a photographer. There must be at least 1 or 2 that don't, some where.

JJ

ameerat42
12-05-2012, 12:06pm
Giraffes?

Everyone who takes photos is a photographer. Then there are exceptional photographers, and then there are professional photographers. We tend to get confused about which is what.

QED.

jjphoto
12-05-2012, 12:26pm
The contex of the whole thread is professional photography, ie charging for services.

Bennymiata
12-05-2012, 1:48pm
The race driver analogy is an interesting one.

In another life, I used to give people demonstration runs on a racetrack.
I would take them around for 3 laps.
The first lap at about 8/10's, the second at around 9.5/10's and if they weren't screaming by then (and many of them were), I'd show them some drifting for the last lap.
When you go into the first corner at around 160km/h then throw the car sideways, it really seperates the wannabees!
At the end of the 3 laps, most of the people were white and shaking, and many people would tell me that they thought they were good drivers, but they could NEVER drive like that, and live.

Same with wannabee photographers.
They THINK they are good, until they start comparing the skills and experience of a good pro tog.

Kerrie
12-05-2012, 1:57pm
Great thread. Saturday must be my rant day......( apologies, its long)

One thing I've discovered, only recently having gone into photography as a committed hobbyist, is that I like the creative side of things, and therefore would lean towards the label ( if i had to have a label) of photograpic artist.

You don't see lanscapes in B&W, or anything else for that matter, and as I love monochrome treatments mostly, I believe I will still apply PP to finalise my works in the future (:D) so I think 'artist' would be a better description of what I 'want to be' . I just use a camera & photos & PC as my tools.

Art is subjective. This means everyone can have a go & should, dont you think? That's the whole idea of art - expression from individuals.

"Susan Boyle" didnt sing publicly until she was able to. I wonder if she considered herself a singer before her debut? And what a sad loss if she had to have someone else tell her she could sing before she did venture out and sing. We'd miss alot of good stuff if we limited peoples rights to create on a basic level.
( I think )

As for being ' among the best' - with technology being a base for all education today, and digital graphic design and other degrees available to graduates, who learn everything & all techniques available in a structured way that gives them a tested competency of the craft, I know its a long learning path for me. But that's the point. I'm learning, having fun, being creative & maybe even getting better - with no pressure, as it is not my job. It's my passion. It may take me 20 years to become and be regarded as adequate, while a 25 year old who made the decision to do it at 16 will blitz me with technique & skill and produce very competant works in no time. But that doesnt concern me. This is my journey. And I dont pretend its anything else. In 20 years time when I retire ( pending lotto letting me down) I want something to do! Thats why I got into it. I like beautiful photos. I wanna make some! Some day

If someone likes something I do one day enough to commit cash to it, then wonderful! It may pay to remember Picasso had no $ or real respect until after he died. It didnt stop him from being an artist though, because that's what he wanted to be. And even today some dont like his work. Art is subjective.

I do see the same thing you do & understand what you mean. People taking rubbish photos and proclaiming to be 'photographers' is frustrating when as a learner you are always learning - just to be better at the art ( ok I said it) . Seems they are self validating their work. Kinda like marketing. People think it's good 'cos they says so. People like some pics I put on Facebook. I know better than to think it makes me a 'professional photographer' or even a competent one.

When it comes down to it, serious professional high end photographers can be accredited members of AIPP, who test togs in field after they have been paid professionals for 2 years+, and give them a serious tick of approval, to separate them from us 'artists'. But I am sure, and know, there are many photographers out there that take outstanding photos and are professionals who have no tick from AIPP. At the end if people want to pay you for what you do , then its their perogitive to do so, even if there are others out there doing a better job.

I think everyones doing it , 'cos everyone can. Can 'have a go' that is. Isn't it wonderful everyone like photos / digita images / art. I think so.

end soapbox

ving
12-05-2012, 2:34pm
i had no idea being a photographer meant i'd have to have good eye sight.... why did you pick the forums smallest font?

yeah its all mainstream now, yeah anyone can do it... i have no intention of going pro so theres one less competitor for you all :p

mongo
12-05-2012, 3:03pm
of course ! isn't everyone already...?

MissionMan
12-05-2012, 4:11pm
Plenty of people play cricket, football, afl, rugby etc and yet they don't consider themselves professional sportsmen although no doubt they would want to be if the opportunity arose. Photography like anything else is a combination of talent and hard work.

Erin
12-05-2012, 4:56pm
In my other life, I am also a jewelllery designer and maker and the same question can be asked and the same answer can be given. Those with the talent and true desire to become pro WILL. Those who don't will dabble for a bit and eventually stop. This shit is actually 87% hard work and business, 10% is doing what the client wants and 3% fun stuff. Most people back off when that sinks in. So you will forever see people starting up micro businesses with dreams of making it big that peter out, it's a never ending cycle. The ones who stick it out are the ones who go pro... and later lament about this very thing. LOL

Steve Axford
12-05-2012, 5:53pm
Same with wannabee photographers.
They THINK they are good, until they start comparing the skills and experience of a good pro tog.

Funny, some pro photographers are good, some are not, but I don't remember ever thinking "I can't be that good" - and in particular I have never thought "I can't be that good unless I'm a pro". Racing drivers may be different as that is a very expensive sport. For most of us, we really can't be that good unless someone else is paying for us to break cars. In some photographic fields it is necessary to be a pro as the gear costs too much - or be very rich to start with, but most still photography is within the reach of many of us.

Cris
12-05-2012, 7:00pm
Yes they do, but as with anything it takes time practice and commitment- 95% don't have those elements at their disposal, so its just fun and a great way of learning. :)

ranvens
12-05-2012, 7:04pm
The race driver analogy is an interesting one.

In another life, I used to give people demonstration runs on a racetrack.

I'd be keen :D

On topic though, I enjoy this as a hobby, nothing too serious, as others have said this is by no means my income. Yes I have a Facebook page, purely for photos I want to share to people over and above family and friends (I don't add randoms), same reason I have a Flickr and 500px accounts.

Mark L
12-05-2012, 7:56pm
Sometimes i wonder what the future of photography will be, is it an art that has kind of become cheapened in the sense that so many can do it....

I reckon some talented people have used the English language as an art, to educate or entertain. That art isn't cheapened 'cause most of us 'round 'ere speak English. (just more of my Gibberish. At least I'm not a giraffe yet!)

fillum
12-05-2012, 8:58pm
I thought everyone wanted to be a masterchef :confused013

stuey
13-05-2012, 8:24am
The race car theory - Yes every one has cars but the difference is there are only so few opportunities to actually race your car professionally. Where every man, woman, child and dog has a camera and can easily set up a week end warrior business / work from home or their car, and then flood the market with imagery hoping to strike it rich in an all ready crushed, bashed and deflated industry that has NO regulation outside of the professional news media side.

arthurking83
13-05-2012, 11:04am
I don't think EVERYONE wants to be a photographer. There must be at least 1 or 2 that don't, some where.

JJ

Well, that I know of, there must surely be at least one other(apart from me).

No aspirations to make money from my images, and haven never tried too from day one.

Then again, I had no aspirations to make money from transport whilst not actually transporting any goods either, but that's where I've ended up.

People change and times change, I have a feeling that at some point I may end up making money from photography tho.

I think the interesting point made was about the tools used to make photography easier to achieve now.
This makes it easier to turn otherwise lame photographers into interesting photographers. And not because they can capture great images, but because it's easy to montage images into anything you like nowadays.
Cut and paste a few layers of external content into your 'photograph' and you can get instant brilliant photographs without any of the effort that it used to require.

mongo
13-05-2012, 4:17pm
I thought everyone wanted to be a masterchef :confused013

Phil is right !..........if you do not automatically fall into the category of "photographer" , by default, you are a would-be masterchief (although some of those guys admitted that they had NEVER cooked beef or salmon ! they must be more delusional than the "photographers")

Steve Axford
13-05-2012, 5:37pm
It is both much harder and much easier to do something exceptional nowdays. Harder because everyone can do it and easier for the same reason. It just takes originality, but that is a rare thing. In the past the "pro" could rely on arcane skills and get by with that. No more. It must be tough being a pro who just relies on photographic skills now. There are a million skilled photographers out there.

Dan Cripps
14-05-2012, 8:59am
You don't see lanscapes in B&W, or anything else for that matter

Where are you looking!?

That doesn't hold try in my experience at all. :)

MattNQ
14-05-2012, 10:07am
Well, obviously what we need is a new reality show MasterIdolPhotographer. :D

After all, everyone wants a free ride to the top without the hard slog to build a solid business.

First week's assignment would be have to be Giraffes....

Lazyshooter
14-05-2012, 12:52pm

I know this is a joke but with the state of television currently, I think someone out there would like the idea.

kiwi
14-05-2012, 12:56pm
Phil is right !..........if you do not automatically fall into the category of "photographer" , by default, you are a would-be masterchief (although some of those guys admitted that they had NEVER cooked beef or salmon ! they must be more delusional than the "photographers")

beef = film
salmon - manual

?

ving
14-05-2012, 1:51pm
i dont want to be a photographer... unfortunately i take photos :/

what can ya do hey :confused013

MissionMan
14-05-2012, 2:03pm

After all, everyone wants a free ride to the top without the hard slog to build a solid business.

First week's assignment would be have to be Giraffes....

Take a whole lot of people, give them a random photo and ask them to recreate it complete with photoshop.

Or give them pictures and ask them to identify the ISO, shutter speed and aperture.

Hey, this is starting to get legs, we could make millions out of this! We could even give the photographer their own breakfast photography show.

Here's my take at the marketing...

Is your kid hungry and won't eat veggies? Does your husband hate your cooking? We have a solution for you...take a picture of them. They won't get any less hungry but at least you can make millions from the photo.

Jane Smith - I didn't have a job and we were battling to make ends meet. Then I won MasterIdolPhotographer and my life has changed. Now we have a loan for $20,000 of camera equipment we can't pay and we're still poor, but I take better photos than before of our kids. Thanks MasterIdolPhotographer

ricktas
14-05-2012, 7:17pm
Take a whole lot of people, give them a random photo and ask them to recreate it complete with photoshop.

Or give them pictures and ask them to identify the ISO, shutter speed and aperture.

Hey, this is starting to get legs, we could make millions out of this! We could even give the photographer their own breakfast photography show.

Here's my take at the marketing...

Is your kid hungry and won't eat veggies? Does your husband hate your cooking? We have a solution for you...take a picture of them. They won't get any less hungry but at least you can make millions from the photo.

Jane Smith - I didn't have a job and we were battling to make ends meet. Then I won MasterIdolPhotographer and my life has changed. Now we have a loan for $20,000 of camera equipment we can't pay and we're still poor, but I take better photos than before of our kids. Thanks MasterIdolPhotographer

Ah yes, and your first $500,000 goes direct to the MasterIdolPhotographer organisers as you signed a contract during Auditions, and after that you get about 5% of all bookings.:lol:

crazymorton
14-05-2012, 9:23pm
i just want to be able to get the most out of my camera and take photos that appeal to me.

to help me do this i buy good gear, cause i can, frequent sites like this, cause i want to, and garner advice, because it helps.

doesn't mean i want to be a photographer, just means i like photography.

Mark L
14-05-2012, 9:24pm
How's it going Andrea1?
Think your thread has been hijacked by mass media.
I've got a camera, I take photos, now how do I get onto that new T.V. show, Apprentice Photographer Blocks Masterchef's Idol Voice.

rustylongbeard
16-05-2012, 3:39pm
I think the general drift is that anyine can pick up adslr and shoot away, that makes them a photographer. most of these type of photographers last acouple of months and then put the camera away till later. Never to be picked up again. I think the true photographer(mosy of us//) will keep shooting and eventually learn all about their camera, so that they can repeat again and again high quality images. What they do with thses images is up to them. I believe that mosy of us that stick to it will set ourselves high levels of achievment and the happy snappers will be left far behind.
The pictures on fb etc usually stay their for months at a time, in my gallery i change images around constantly to keep afresh approach. We the hardened ones will still be here when the happy snappers have long gone.....hopefully.

CarlR
17-05-2012, 2:14pm
I know this has been said a million times before, but it seems that the immediacy, comment and feedback of social media has contributed to the mass identification as a photographer.

Perhaps a reality TV show is the answer, but who would be the judges?.