PDA

View Full Version : The usual obligatory newbie post

JoeB
24-03-2012, 6:33pm
Hi Everyone,
First post. whoa. So where to start, let's see..

1. Amateur photographer. i.e. skill level 'questionable'
2. Looking for new DSLR (why I'm here primarily - to research and then make educated assessment based on skill level)
3. into cars in a big way, so I'd love to learn more about how to properly photograph these objects, as well as scenery and portrait photography.
4. I.T. Professional and longtime mac user (>15 years) so I know my way around computers, but it's not my core work.

My father taught me a few things about film photography and has his own darkroom and a bunch of old manual nikons. his digital kit is P&S and is canon. I bought him a little Leica DLux-4 to replace his canon and he was 'surprised'. So maybe I did something right..

I've also got a Leica DLux-4 which I've had for a couple years, and it does exactly what I expect of it. it's great for wide angle shots and closeup / portraits / family photography, but I could still learn more about how to use it more effectively.

I'm not a fan of abusing raw data with Adobe products to the extent where it doesn't reflect the image you took, so I could use some skill improvement there also.

Hope there are objective like-minded folk on here who can provide guidance, and share knowledge freely.

Joe

Kym
24-03-2012, 6:40pm
:gday: & Welcome
- lets see some photos in the main CC forums (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?5) maybe try a competition or 2 and have fun!

Wayne63
25-03-2012, 6:38am
Welcome to AP, Enjoy the site and look forward to seeing some of your pics in the forums soon

ricktas
25-03-2012, 8:14am
Welcome to AP. See you on the forums

Debra Faulkner
25-03-2012, 10:15am
... Hope there are objective like-minded folk on here who can provide guidance, and share knowledge freely.

Absolutely, Joe. Also the more you put in, the more you'll get. Looking forward to seeing some of your work.

Mary Anne
25-03-2012, 2:01pm
Hello Joe and Welcome to AP..

Kel
25-03-2012, 4:16pm
G'day and welcome, I hope you fine it was help as I have