PDA

View Full Version : Do you think she should have straightened the horizon first?

agb
12-03-2012, 11:13pm
Lightroom 4 has been on the market for a few days now and Julieanne Kost has a few videos on the website extolling the virtues of the new release.
She has one video, creating stunning images, which is 22 minutes long, and at about 8 minutes into the video she starts to edit a photo of part of a horse standing on the beach, the saddle and rear end of it, but the horizon is horribly slanted, and she never corrects it.
Should she have straightened the horizon?
I thought it strange that she just ignored it.
http://tv.adobe.com/watch/getting-started-with-adobe-photoshop-lightroom-4/lightroom-4-create-stunning-images/

fess67
12-03-2012, 11:42pm
Did not bother me to be honest. I think it was a deliberate act to have the slant as you see her position the graduated filter to match the tilt of the horizen.

Bennymiata
13-03-2012, 9:34am
Some good tips in this video.

FilthyAmatuer
15-03-2012, 8:27pm
I think it would look better with a straightened horizon.

Xenedis
15-03-2012, 8:49pm
IMO, straightening and de-bowing horizons is one of the first things that needs to be done after raw conversion.

Steve Axford
16-03-2012, 9:18am
I think we slowly learn that straight horizons are more important to some people than they are to others. Just as some people will always change photos so that the subject is on the right, not the left. I like straight horizons, but I try not to get to hung up about them.

rellik666
16-03-2012, 4:14pm
The horse has no head! Have some perspective! :lol:

Great Vid thanks for posting....and no...I don't think she should have straightened the horizon!

baldrick
19-03-2012, 11:33pm
I must admit that "artistically" slanted photos do nothing for me, so yes she should have straightened the horizon.:th3:

tcdev
20-03-2012, 1:43am
I'm pretty sure it was intentionally slanted. Works for me in this instance.

Epicaricacy
20-03-2012, 10:05pm
No she shouldn't, as she left it slanted to show us that the gradient tool was not a horizontal only tool... The aesthetics of the pic we're less relevant than the requirement to show how to use a tool.

Good tips though

Taipan
21-03-2012, 3:01pm
I noticed that her glasses were crooked (slanted) on her face, so maybe she likes slanted horizons ...... :D

Perspective, straightening and lens distortion correction were covered in an earlier image example, so I guess it wasn't relevant to straigten the horizon in this image?