PDA

View Full Version : Is this Art? Twisted Fairytails.

dt86vyss
21-02-2012, 3:21pm
Came across this site today. I think it is fantastic. Someone has gone to so much trouble to photograph a completely different perspective of childhood fairy-tails.

Artist and photographer... thomas czarnecki

http://www.designboom.com/weblog/cat/10/view/19089/thomas-czarnecki-from-enchantment-to-down.html

JM Tran
21-02-2012, 3:24pm
very good and artistic interpretations there, the edgy, darker side of fairytales in the 21st century.

mudman
21-02-2012, 4:25pm
don't let your kids see these. the loss of innocense would be horrific.

Roosta
21-02-2012, 5:47pm
Poor o'L Alice. Nice and different, but strange and weird in another way, perspectives Ha!

WhoDo
21-02-2012, 5:54pm
Is this art?
I'm sure it is ... to someone. I don't like it but then I didn't like Blue Poles either! My aesthetic sense is not always shared by others. The artist's message, as I perceive it, bothers me though. Why are they all dead, or apparently so, from unnatural causes? Weren't most fairytales crafted with happy endings? :confused013

fabian628
21-02-2012, 6:02pm
I like the idea and the photos. however in the series i think its a bit too repetative, id like to see the girls doing something other than laying face down on the ground, maybe something a litte different and related to the fairy tale (ie. i think mermaid washed up on the beach is great, but not as powerful once you see 5 others face down on the ground). :)

leanneqld
21-02-2012, 6:52pm
LMAO @ Pocahontas

Kerrie
21-02-2012, 7:16pm
I laughed and was impressed....but it got a little too dark as it progressed for me to continue giggling.....but still it's art in my eyes.

jim
21-02-2012, 7:22pm
I started off very impressed, and got very bored very quickly.

They're beautifully staged and lit though.

dt86vyss
21-02-2012, 9:23pm
don't let your kids see these. the loss of innocense would be horrific.

Tell me about it!! i have a 2.5 year old that almost gives up his life when he loses his favorite toy!

dt86vyss
21-02-2012, 9:25pm
I'm sure it is ... to someone. I don't like it but then I didn't like Blue Poles either! My aesthetic sense is not always shared by others. The artist's message, as I perceive it, bothers me though. Why are they all dead, or apparently so, from unnatural causes? Weren't most fairytales crafted with happy endings? :confused013

That may just be the perspective taken. Because all fairytales do end in a happy ending, maybe this inspired the artist to take the opposite approach...

darkbhudda
22-02-2012, 2:28pm
Weren't most fairytales crafted with happy endings? :confused013
Nope. The original fairy tales aren't suitable for young children.

Cinderella's stepsisters had their eyes pecked out by birds, one eye pecked out on the way to the wedding, the other one after the wedding. Snow White ended with the Queen given red hot iron shoes and dancing until she died.

JM Tran
22-02-2012, 2:47pm
That may just be the perspective taken. Because all fairytales do end in a happy ending, maybe this inspired the artist to take the opposite approach...

Im afraid darkbhudda is right with his post above, the original fairytales were never ones with 'happy endings' nor would I deem them suitable for young children and bedtime stories!

Lance B
22-02-2012, 2:50pm
Certainly has an obsession with death and dead storybook characters. Quite disturbing, really.

Bennymiata
22-02-2012, 2:59pm
Considering that most of the fairytales were written by the Grimm brothers, it's no wonder they didn't end happily.

The ones we tell our children are just the sanitised versions, but back in the days when these were originally written, violence and retribution were the hot topics, and the value of a human life was somewhat less than we take for granted nowdays.

old dog
22-02-2012, 4:27pm
It disturbed me a tad and I`ve seen a bit in my day. I think the boy needs a little help....

sunny6teen
23-02-2012, 10:11pm
Nope. The original fairy tales aren't suitable for young children.

Snow White ended with the Queen given red hot iron shoes and dancing until she died.

...blame it on the boogie

dt86vyss
29-02-2012, 8:12am
Nice to see people's views on the shots, art as it is intended to be.... Interpreted in a number of different ways.

I must admit a am a little disturbed by it too Graeme!...

mikec
29-02-2012, 5:49pm
Interesting concept and I like some of the shots. But I think some are too hard to recognise what story they are without reading the title. Like all art, some people will like it, others won't.

SimoneK
04-03-2012, 1:07pm
I like the concept, the dark tone of the photos really appeal to me, visually they're pretty yummy. but I think they are too similar to each other. They're all posed (with the exception of Alice) the same really with no real indication of their death. I would have liked to have seen Red and Belle mutilated somewhat as their stories involve beasts, the fact that they're just lying there dead doesn't really tie into their particular fairtales..

Cris
04-03-2012, 2:22pm
The link wasn't working for me, and when it finally did after I read most of the responses I was surprised at how mild they were, in fact a couple of them a quite funny. Art? - Yes.

Epicaricacy
04-03-2012, 2:56pm
I liked them on an individual basis, but as others have stated, the repetitiveness of the poses perhaps detracted from it. But then again, fairly tales themselves have repetitive themes, so perhaps this is also part of it.

Artists can basically do it how they like as people can basically interpret how they like...

Erin
11-03-2012, 3:11pm
I don't like most of them... not because they're dark so much as... dumb? Repetitive. I was looking at them going "Come on! Do something interesting!" Sleeping Beauty (with all the air fresheners) and Alice made me giggle. I was hoping Belle's photo would be a little bloody. That would have been cool.

Dark interpretation of what happened to all the Disney princesses... great to see Pocahontas included for a change. It's a bit of fun.