PDA

View Full Version : Rain cover for Lowepro Fastpack 250

kel8395
20-02-2012, 1:38pm
Hi everyone,

I've recently gotten myself a Lowepro Fastpack 250 and am interested in getting a rain cover for it since it is not supplied with one.

Has anyone used a rain cover on a Fastpack 250 or could recommend one for it?

Incidentally, I have been tossing between the Fastpack 250 and the Tamrac Evolution 8 for a while now and was actually leaning more towards the Tamrac when a deal for a used Fastpack 250 in very good condition came by that was too good to pass.

I would be happy with either one of them since both has most of the features I am looking for in a camera bag, but I do find that the Fastpack 250 is noticably lighter than the Evolution 8. I reckon that will be helpful for those long hikes and as an airline carry-on baggage.

All inputs are welcomed. Thanks!

Cheers! :)

Kel.

Bennymiata
20-02-2012, 5:13pm
The cheapest thing to use would be a green garbage bag or any plastic bag large enough to cover the bag.
Take a few of them with you, and you won't worry about them getting dirty and they're cheap to replace.

mikew09
20-02-2012, 6:41pm
I agree with the garbage bag. I have the flip side 400 which love. I comes with a rain cover but to be honest I think it only safe for light rain spells. I still carry a garbage bag and it saved me one occasion when caught in a Qld storm. The way I see it, if you get caught the only safe option is a complete cover over you back which the el cheapo garbage bag is perfect for.

kel8395
21-02-2012, 1:12pm
Hi Bennymiata and mikew09,

Thanks for the useful and practical suggestion. Garbage bag it is then. :th3:

junqbox
21-02-2012, 1:32pm
You could also grab yourself an emergency poncho, as they tend to fit over the backpack AND yourself. I've used one with one of the big lowepro packs (Vertex200) and it worked a treat.

Bennymiata
21-02-2012, 4:55pm
Garbage bags have saved me a few times!
I tend to always keep a couple in the boot of the car anyway.

kel8395
23-02-2012, 10:03am
Thanks for your input, junqbox. I suppose it makes better sense that I don't get wet too. :p

Bennymiata
24-02-2012, 6:59pm
Just one more thing to keep in mind Kel, if you have had your gear out in the rain wrapped in a garbage bag, make sure you remove it from the bag ASAP and let the equipment dry out, otherwise you will get moisture forming on the gear which may fungus and mildew to form.

kel8395
27-02-2012, 12:45pm
Good point, Bennymiata.

Condensation is certainly not good for the gear. Thanks!