Quote Originally Posted by Floribunda View Post
Thank you Tony - I am a little nervous about going down that path - will wait and see how it all unfolds with Olympus first but thank you for the thought.
Keep it as an option tho!
(from experience).

I had an issue on my D800E, when the front mounted 10 pin(accessory) port caved itself inwards.
Never had any issue with the same port on my D300(which copped many more years of abuse, by comparison), and I suspect it was a faulty made bit.
No worries, it happens sometimes.
Do you think Nikon(aus) would have any interest to listen on the issue?
I did some searching and found quite a few D800's had the same issue.. and even a letter from Nikon Germany accepting that the issue was real(in a limited number of units).
But even before looking, Nikon Aus claimed that there was no such issue at all(even tho I emailed them the notice from Nikon Germany).

Didn't even consider them to repair it, so looked around found some places, some that referred me to other places too.
Went with the indie repairer in the city(which I hate going into) .. got it fixed no worries.
Wasn't extremely cheap by any means, but a little more than the cost of Nikon Aus just looking at it ! ... which they were never going to do(to my gear).

And then the thought occurred to me(well after the repair was done) .. I actually prefer to support the small independent repairer much more so than the fat, top heavy, blood sucking corporate entity .. oops! I meant overpaid executives' slaries .. err .. company

ps. I did actually want to do the repair myself, and I reckon could have easily done. But there was a small part(a gasket, maybe) that I couldn't get as a part ... to close it all up properly.